Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easily Trying Out The Latest GIMP 2.9 Git On Ubuntu

Phoronix: Easily Trying Out The Latest GIMP 2.9 Git On Ubuntu

If you have been wanting to try out the latest GIMP 2.9 development releases to experience all of the new functionality being worked on for GIMP 2.0, it's relatively easy to do so on Ubuntu...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looking forward to the new Gimp version 2.0 that is coming out soon in 2004....

Comment

Using PPAs under Ubuntu is the best way to test something not in the mainstram repos.
      Being it a beta SW or simply something the Ubuntu team left behind.

Comment

PPAs can be quite messy, which is the reason I use Arch for that.

And by the way, why did the web page refresh automatically? I must suspect it might be an ad.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post

And by the way, why did the web page refresh automatically? I must suspect it might be an ad.
          I left Ubuntu because of PPA hell, It wasn't as bad as RPM hell on Fedora Core 2 back in 2003? but PPAs were bad enough to turn working Elementary Luna system into a non-functional brick.

The problem was Software on Ubuntu 12.02 was too old and was no longer getting fixed and maintained and PPAs would break the system, especially Gnome 3 PPA at the time.

Packages Were Stale they had to go from
          Debian - > Ubuntu - > Elementary which sometimes meant they were 2+ years old and LTS was poorly maintained, primary software like LibreOffice had major bugs that were never fixed.

Anyways, my point is now I'm on Arch too and It's been a dream as it's a "Tier 1" distribution meaning that software comes directly from "Tier 0" upstream - the source. No middleman to patch code they dont understand.

No bull - no "Ubuntu Kernel" lmao.

GIMP GTK3 in AUR is a significant UX improvement over the GTK2 version, I wish they would rush that as it will positively get people to try gimp again.

Comment

It seems like Phoronix throws my comments into moderation and they never get posted - jesus, my #1 annoyance with Phoronix - also theres no way for me to view my comment in moderation to make edits to get it to be approved by the filter or whatever, I waste so much time I'm seriously considering getting a plugin to save form input data during form POST - so annoying.

Comment

I left Ubuntu because of PPA h3ell, It wasn't as bad as RPM hell on Fedora Core 2 back in 2003? but PPAs were bad enough to turn working Elementary Luna system into a non-functional brick.

The problem was Software on Ubuntu 12.02 was too old and was no longer getting fixed and maintained and PPAs would break the system, especially Gnome 3 PPA at the time.

Debian - > Ubuntu - > Elementary which sometimes meant they were 2+ years old and LTS was poorly maintained, primary software like LibreOffice had major bugs that were never fixed.

Anyways, my point is now I'm on Arch too and It's been a dream as it's a "Tier 1" distribution meaning that software comes directly from "Tier 0" upstream - the source. No middleman to patch code they dont understand.

Comment

I left Ubuntu because of PPA h3ell, It wasn't as bad as RPM h3ll on Fedora Core 2 back in 2003? but PPAs were bad enough to turn working Elementary Luna system into a non-functional brick.

Comment

I left Ubuntu because of PPA h3ell, It wasn't as bad as RPM h3ll on Fedora Core 2 back in 2003? but PPAs were bad enough to turn working Elementary Luna system into a non-functional brick.

No bu11 - no "Ubuntu Kernel" lmao.

--

I seriously can't find the "bad word" that made it so I was getting denied posting - but seeing as how my comment is already approved lets try a little test:
                  Shit Fuck Bitch Fag Homo Jew Bugger Blasted Bloody Hell

Also why does everyone have a blank avatar if it's not possible to set the avatar to a personal photo or gravatar? I mean seriously, Gravatar takes like 20 minuets to code into software via PHP max.
                  Last edited by ElectricPrism; 24 December 2015, 07:46 PM.

Comment

The PPA in the article is for crappy old GIMP 2.8.x builds. Otto's GIMP 2.9.x packages are found in his "gimp-edge" archive, not "gimp"

Hi, for personal reasons my PPA activities are dropped for the time being. Sorry Thorsten Attention! This is a PPA only for development purposes!!! At the moment there are no Xenial updates due to inextricably Glib dependencies. I will find a solution. There'll be no new packages for obsolete Ubuntu versions anymore and will not accept new uploads: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases Sorry but that's the way live goes. These packages were built of the development branch of the GIMP. They m...

Comment

Working...
                    X