Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.8 Released With 13,000+ Changes

Phoronix: Wine 1.8 Released With 13,000+ Changes

As a nice Christmas present for those dependent upon running Windows games/applications on Linux, Wine 1.8 was officially released just moments ago!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm sorry but 13,000 is obviously a manipulation of the numbers. I would understand if it was 13,000 LOC, or something like that, but 13,000 individual changes is obviously nonsense. If it's not in fact nonsense then it's retarded because there is no possible chance it got thoroughly regression tested.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      I'm sorry but 13,000 is obviously a manipulation of the numbers. I would understand if it was 13,000 LOC, or something like that, but 13,000 individual changes is obviously nonsense. If it's not in fact nonsense then it's retarded because there is no possible chance it got thoroughly regression tested.
      It is probably since 1.6 If you take into account all of the fixes for the past couple of years on each release it probably totals up to that.

Comment

So each year we will see 1.8, 1.9, etc. However we will still see subreleases right? So DX11 support might come with 1.8.10 for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post
          So each year we will see 1.8, 1.9, etc. However we will still see subreleases right? So DX11 support might come with 1.8.10 for example.
          From what I understand, the point really is to limit it to yearly releases as far as features go. Sure, there might be point releases to deal with bugfixes but I wouldn't count on a hypothetical 1.8.10 completing the DX11 implementation. That'll probably not see the light of day before 1.9rc1, if even then.

Comment

I am happy to see Wine move a long. It has come a far way since I started using it.

Comment

Nice work, let's see is MS drops the whole API in 2 months...

Comment

Originally posted by F1esDgSdUTYpm0iy View Post
                From what I understand, the point really is to limit it to yearly releases as far as features go. Sure, there might be point releases to deal with bugfixes but I wouldn't count on a hypothetical 1.8.10 completing the DX11 implementation. That'll probably not see the light of day before 1.9rc1, if even then.

no. the next release will be either 1.10 or 2. And 1.9 release are dev release, so are all 1.7 only "dev" release. and there won't be a 1.9rc1 ever

And there won't be new features in any 1.8 point release, period.

Comment

Yes, that is what I wrote. The 2nd point that is. As far as the first point -- details. But, good to know they're going more traditional now, with odd numbered dev releases and even numbered mainline releases.

Comment

Great work... Hurrah for Wine... :-)

From following the development cycle of Wine for quite a while now... Features like DirectX 10.x / 11 will definitely feature in a major release version (e.g. 1.10). There's a lot of work to be done still - to support these API's fully...

Comment

Working...
                    X