Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fastest Browsers For WebGL As Judged By Unity

Phoronix: The Fastest Browsers For WebGL As Judged By Unity

The Unity 3D folks have released some updated WebGL benchmark results for showing what web browsers are doing the best for accelerated graphics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Internet Explorer is however the fastest browser when it comes to painting images using drawImage() on a HTML5 canvas. At least in my limited experience.

Comment

I wonder if the performance of firefox implementations can be brought to the other browsers, what is Mozilla doing different?

Comment

Looking at the blog post, with an experimental version of Unity and the current Firefox Nightly, it's about 1/4 faster than FF 42 64-bit. Dang.

This is no surprise though. Firefox has always been really really fast... as long as you don't open more than a couple tabs. The lack of separation when it comes to the JS execution is what really kills it (and e10s only makes Firefox slower, unfortunately).

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          This is no surprise though. Firefox has always been really really fast...
          Well there is people that still belieive chrome is faster, because that is how google market it and ate peoples brains

Comment

I am surprised that anti-Mozilla readers did not join the thread already.
            (blabla FF sux, blabla FF slow, blabla FF eat my cat...)

I recognize that massive tabs slow it and it tends to leak memory (at least under Opensuse and Ubuntu). Anyway it is still #1 for me.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post

Well there is people that still belieive chrome is faster, because that is how google market it and ate peoples brains
              I've been putting every release through (the now discontinued) Peacekeeper benchmark and I can confirm that Chrome has stagnated and Firefox has pretty much closed the gap.
              I don't know how it works with a bazillion tabs open, because I rarely have more than 10 open, but performance on Firefox has been steadily improving. Fwiw, it didn't look too bad to me to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post

Well, in my experience Chrome is faster. I dot not have a "official" browser, I use both daily. Google and Mozilla Foundation did not turned me in a zombie.

The problem with Firefox is that is slower to load a page than Chrome, and its HD video performance. And its easier to see it in a low end system.

Lets take Phoronix.com for example. Open the main page, then rapidly open 5 or 10 articles using mouse middle button. Now do the same with Chrome. See the diference? No, so turn off your adblocker and try again... That's right, to keep close with Chrome, Firefox need a adblocker.

Then there is the 1080p and beyond video performance of Firefox. Is slow, but thank God they are improving it in recent months.

So Firefox is slower than Chrome, so what? That do not stop me from using it. But do not let our preference blind us about its performance issues.
                Last edited by M@GOid; 16 December 2015, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Well, in my experience Chrome is faster. I dot not have a "official" browser, I use both daily. Google and Mozilla Foundation did not turned me in a zombie.

The problem with Firefox is that is slower to load a page than Chrome, and its HD video performance. And its easier to see it in a low end system.

Lets take Phoronix.com for example. Open the main page, then rapidly open 5 or 10 articles using mouse middle button. Now do the same with Chrome. See the diference? No, so turn off your adblocker and try again... That's right, to keep close with Chrome, Firefox need a adblocker.

Then there is the 1080p and beyond video performance of Firefox. Is slow, but thank God they are improving it in recent months.

So Firefox is slower than Chrome, so what? That do not stop me from using it. But do not let our preference blind us about its performance issues.
                  Well, I'd say the benchmark run by Unity is more representative of performance in some real world application than rapidly opening 5 to 10 tabs using the mouse middle button...

Anyway, in general there isn't a browser that is faster at everything and in every condition. For some workloads Firefox is faster, for others Chrome is faster.

Comment

Originally posted by My8th View Post
                    I wonder if the performance of firefox implementations can be brought to the other browsers, what is Mozilla doing different?
                    I remember reading some blog post about this. It turns out that Mozilla acknowledge that most video drivers are optimized for gaming. With that in mind, they implemented webGL, making use of more optimized code paths (such as ones commonly used in games).

Comment

Working...
                    X