Firefox 43 Now Officially Available, But GTK3 Gets Disabled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by higuita View Post
    Keep gtk2 or even better port it to QT4/QT5 ... i don't have any gnome3 trash on my computer nor gtk3

gnome people already said that GTK3 is for gnome usage and it will change for gnome... they don't care about other projects using GTK... so leave GTK3 alone or you will be sorry later. This is why several tools switched to QT, FLTK or keep GKT2
    Are you twelve, or just think like a twelve year old? I'll take GNOME 3.18+ over any KDE product. I use Qt 5 products, but the KDE stuff is 99% junk. There isn't a single KDE app I care to use. If you want to see how C++ can leave a bad taste in your mouth just look at KDE on top of Qt.

Comment

Does GTK3 mean that Firefox will finally have CSD (tabs in titlebar) by default? That's awesome!!! I've been waiting this for so long!!!
      It had that in Windows version for years but Firefox for Linux was second class citizen. Better later than never!
      I'm still using Firefox even though it is lagging behind other browsers but news like this makes me happy! It proves that Firefox is not dead, it just takes more time to embrace cool new underlying technologies!
      Last edited by monraaf; 15 December 2015, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
        Are you twelve, or just think like a twelve year old? I'll take GNOME 3.18+ over any KDE product. I use Qt 5 products, but the KDE stuff is 99% junk. There isn't a single KDE app I care to use. If you want to see how C++ can leave a bad taste in your mouth just look at KDE on top of Qt.
        Qt != KDE. But even if that were the case, your response isn't really any less childlike than the one you're criticising. Besides, there are plenty of KDE-specific tools that are better than GTK, and vise versa. Both DEs have their own set of dedicated apps that outperform the others'. For me personally, most GNOME apps are too simplified and restricting.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          That's irrelevant - enterprise hardware won't have a reason to run firefox, and if they did, firefox would be outdated along with everything else.
          They don't care. Only a few years ago IE6 was still the most used browser in the word. And not because of home users of course.

Comment

For me personally, most GNOME apps are too simplified and restricting.
            It is easy just to keep adding new features by crowding interface or just to dumb down apps by removing features.

Good thing about GNOME3 apps is that they somehow managed to simplify interface and intuitively add new features at the same time!
            Gnome Files (Nautilus) and Gedit are such apps. They look so clean and simple but they are still advanced and keep getting new features with every release. I really like intelligent design and brave decisions. They proved that apps can be advanced without being ugly. It is bringing something fresh that Linux never had. GTK3 is attracting new users who care about every detail. It's a pleasure to use such apps. That's why I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
              It is easy just to keep adding new features by crowding interface or just to dumb down apps by removing features.

Good thing about GNOME3 apps is that they somehow managed to simplify interface and intuitively add new features at the same time!
              How about intuitively not removing existing popular features?

Comment

If that was the reason, then it is the most stupid ever.
                Really? For the user with only the gtk2 installed?
                Of course, considering how much high the gtk3 cost is, I can understand.
                Who remains on old software can remains on Firefox 42 as well.
                Or, at the least, do the opposite: the default is gtk3, however for the minority with specific needs, just use the option to compile for gtk2. Not the other way around!

Comment

Qt != KDE. But even if that were the case, your response isn't really any less childlike than the one you're criticising. Besides, there are plenty of KDE-specific tools that are better than GTK, and vise versa. Both DEs have their own set of dedicated apps that outperform the others'. For me personally, most GNOME apps are too simplified and restricting.
                  You have a reading comprehension issue. I said KDE on top of Qt 5 is the problem. Qt5 apps by themselves are fine. KDE tends to fuglify and overengineer on top of Qt.

Comment

Although the GTK3 port is ready to ship, the update experience will be poor for users without GTK3 installed. We don't know what proportion of users that would be...
                    Running plain gnome3 on a desktop computer:
                    Code:
                    pacman -Qi gtk2
                    [B]chromium[/B]  [B]ekiga[/B]  exo  [B]firefox[/B]  flashplugin  gtk-engine-murrine gtk-engines
                    gtk-sharp-2  gtkglext  gtkmm  gtkspell lib32-gtk2  libglade  libxfce4ui 
                    [B]thunderbird[/B] [B]tor-browser-en[/B] wxgtk2.8

Comment

That's irrelevant - enterprise hardware won't have a reason to run firefox, and if they did, firefox would be outdated along with everything else.
                      I didn't mean to imply anything else. I just had an issue with the OP calling these "stale shit". After all, these are the only distros that are actually stable, even if they're not for home use.
                      I think the guys did the sane thing here: they didn't know how many users would be impacted, so they took the safe route.

Comment

Working...
                      X