Firefox 43 Now Officially Available, But GTK3 Gets Disabled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I got the impression that was the case, but the more important thing is wayland support.
    Yeah, Rebecca Black OS users will rage...

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
      Edit: And even though! The package managers of these special distros would just have to stay with Firefox version 42!
      Well no - gtk2 support will not be removed here, maybe in 2017. or so.

I even think Firefox 45 ESR builds will go with gtk2 by default.
      Last edited by dungeon; 15 December 2015, 03:38 PM.

Comment

The news is that just the binaries downloaded from Mozilla will have GTK+2. Distribution packagers can decide for themselves what compilation flags that want to use.

However, I imagine that most distributions will also be conservative and go with GTK+2 for now. This is a huge change to a very critical application and it's best to go slowly!

It actually would be nice if independent packagers (PPA for Ubuntu) would create a firefox-gtk3 package so some of us can help testing right now and help debug before Firefox 44.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
          Jeesus christ! If user's distro is not stale shit like RHEL or some LTS fossil
          Well, you've just described all the distros an enterprise would use.
          Still, distros shipping GTK3 will most likely compile FF w/ GTK3 support enabled anyway.

Comment

i've just update, and on my notebook firefox 43 use gtk3.
            furthermore, now use ffmpeg, and now html5 support on youtube is finally complete (we can select every resolution)

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              That's irrelevant - enterprise hardware won't have a reason to run firefox, and if they did, firefox would be outdated along with everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                But the Firefox an enterprise would use is ESR.

Comment

Keep gtk2 or even better port it to QT4/QT5 ... i don't have any gnome3 trash on my computer nor gtk3

gnome people already said that GTK3 is for gnome usage and it will change for gnome... they don't care about other projects using GTK... so leave GTK3 alone or you will be sorry later. This is why several tools switched to QT, FLTK or keep GKT2

Comment

I'm disappointed. I have GTK3 installed, but not GTK2. Why doesn't Mozilla care about users like me? I have a hi-dpi screen so GTK2 apps look terrible, whereas GTK3 has hi-dpi support so those apps look great. I use nightly builds of Firefox (Aurora) for the GTK3 support. Even GDM and LightDM require GTK3 these days.

Comment

Firefox/Iceweasel 42 is a bug POS throughout. Randomly crashing with or without flash and no plugins or extensions enabled. 46 Alpha Nightly is more stable. It rarely crashes. For a company who flag ship product is still the browser it is a giant mess and memory hog.

Comment

Working...
                      X