Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CodeWeavers Releases CrossOver 15, Powered By Wine 1.8

Phoronix: CodeWeavers Releases CrossOver 15, Powered By Wine 1.8

With the open-source Wine 1.8 release just around the corner, CodeWeavers announced this morning the immediate release of CrossOver 15.0 for Linux and OS X systems for running the latest Windows applications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There is also a promo code that will be valid until December 14.

CX15 which will grant 25% off the price tag, putting it at $ 29.96 (or exactly RM128 where I come from).

Just thought I'd put that out there if there are any eager beavers wanting to purchase it.

Comment

They changed their license:

Code:
      --- /usr/portage/licenses/CROSSOVER-2   2015-08-09 16:34:52.000000000 -0400
      +++ CROSSOVER-3 2015-12-08 12:15:42.749265174 -0500
      @@ -52,6 +52,7 @@
             www.icculus.org.

We also use or include static copies of the following projects:
      +        libxml2, libxslt                    - BSD-style
               xml-dom, xml-namespacesupport,      - Artistic or GPL license
                   xml-regexp, xml-sax

@@ -119,10 +120,7 @@

If the Software was given to you for purposes of evaluation, then this
             License will terminate at the end of the specified evaluation period,
      -      typically 30 days.
      -
      -      Upon termination you must destroy the Software, related documentation and
      -      all copies thereof.
      +      typically 15 days.

5. Export Law Assurance. You agree and certify that neither the Software nor
             any other technical data received from VENDOR, nor the direct product
      The part about deleting the software kept us from enabling Gentoo's package manager to fetch the installer for users who wished to install it. Deleting it means that users will no longer need to fetch it manually after app-emulation/crossover-bin-15.0.0 goes into Gentoo's tree. such that it will be as easy as a single `emerge crossover-bin` command. Getting it into the tree will take a couple of days as Gentoo policy requires that any new / changed licenses be submitted to the developer mailing list for review though.

That said, Codeweavers became aware of that earlier this year when I raised the issue with them, they agreed to change their license with Crossover 15 and now that it is released they changed their license. That is more than I can say about most companies' responses to license concerns.

Comment

I bought Crossover for the full price once before. It's a good product but I personally think PlayOnLinux is better software at this point. So my rationale for buying Crossover is as a means of a donation to Codeweavers for doing the development heavy lifting for Wine.

I'll likely "donate" again once DirectX 11 is working well enough in Wine to support at least a few newer games.
        Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 08 December 2015, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
          I bought Crossover for the full price once before. It's a good product but I personally think PlayOnLinux is better software at this point. So my rationale for buying Crossover is as a means of a donation to Codeweavers for doing the development heavy lifting for Wine.

I'll likely "donate" again once DirectX 11 is working well enough in Wine to support at least a few newer games.
          The reason PlayOnLinux works better is because it uses custom scripts to configure a wine directory as good as it could possibly be for whatever you are installing, vs Crossover just being a default or generic config. If POL could use crossover as a drop-in replacement for Wine, it would work even better than it already does

Comment

Some things about Linux news are sad, start of development of something != feature. You could inform that today im starting company which would be bigger that Valve.

Words, promises, bla, bla.. its about delivery.

And to be honest i hate these Linux license wars too, its simple - its free, or its free for non-commercial use or is for money - this should be enough for end user, on Windows and OSX is enough.
            Sure open source is better, but these arguments and lawyers talks make me sick.
            Last edited by ruthan; 08 December 2015, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Yes, for me POL its better than Crossover, but i did my "donation" too in respect for the great work that Codeweavers do to wine project.

That's a big miss that Stefan Dösinger is out, i hope that he continues to support somehow the wine development...

Comment

I don't think Crossover does 64bit apps yet. Which is why I have mostly kept away from it.

Comment

Working...
                X