Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plasma-NM Changes Coming For KDE Plasma 5.5

Phoronix: Plasma-NM Changes Coming For KDE Plasma 5.5

Plasma 5.5 is due out next month and with this update will come many new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess its a topic on plasma-nm, so why not wishlist a bit?
    • Better wifi-direct support for announcing devices. It can handle peering to wifi-direct just fine, but it would be super convenient to just hit the wifi-direct button to do a link local network with another pc.
    • Miracast support (albeit Miracast is a horrible mess, but we need some kind of easy LAN screencasting).
    • Something like the Android lock screen safe locations, but maybe with wifi SSID's. When on one of them, your computer won't password lock unless its been inactive for a fixed interval of time. Probably not plasma-nm related, more sddm related, but hey its related!

And on the topic of networks, trying to make your own openvpn network is an insane PITA, and using either Gnomes or KDE's GUIs for adding openvpn connections is usually woefully insufficient. Preferrably openvpn would update its standard with some protocol for some transferrable single-file way to add / remove a connection that can include all the relevant keys, so you can just generate a file on the server per client, have the clients connection managers like plasma-nm take this file and break it apart into all the separate openvpn infrastructure files. Having to move certs, pems, keys, etc between all the clients and having to keep in order independent certs for each client is a super headache that I almost just want to use super-insecure PPTP half the time.
    Last edited by zanny; 08 November 2015, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
      I guess its a topic on plasma-nm, so why not wishlist a bit?[LIST][*]Better wifi-direct support for announcing devices. It can handle peering to wifi-direct just fine, but it would be super convenient to just hit the wifi-direct button to do a link local network with another pc.[*]Miracast support (albeit Miracast is a horrible mess, but we need some kind of easy LAN screencasting).
      I completely agree on both, especially on Miracast.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
        I guess its a topic on plasma-nm, so why not wishlist a bit?
        • Better wifi-direct support for announcing devices. It can handle peering to wifi-direct just fine, but it would be super convenient to just hit the wifi-direct button to do a link local network with another pc.
        • Miracast support (albeit Miracast is a horrible mess, but we need some kind of easy LAN screencasting).
        • Something like the Android lock screen safe locations, but maybe with wifi SSID's. When on one of them, your computer won't password lock unless its been inactive for a fixed interval of time. Probably not plasma-nm related, more sddm related, but hey its related!

And on the topic of networks, trying to make your own openvpn network is an insane PITA, and using either Gnomes or KDE's GUIs for adding openvpn connections is usually woefully insufficient. Preferrably openvpn would update its standard with some protocol for some transferrable single-file way to add / remove a connection that can include all the relevant keys, so you can just generate a file on the server per client, have the clients connection managers like plasma-nm take this file and break it apart into all the separate openvpn infrastructure files. Having to move certs, pems, keys, etc between all the clients and having to keep in order independent certs for each client is a super headache that I almost just want to use super-insecure PPTP half the time.
        Have you tried posting your wish list on a more appropriate site, like the plasma-nm developers site rather than a news site?

Comment

Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post
          Have you tried posting your wish list on a more appropriate site, like the plasma-nm developers site rather than a news site?
          None of that is actually at all related to plasma-nm, it is all related to the underlying nm stack shared by gnome and plasma.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post

None of that is actually at all related to plasma-nm, it is all related to the underlying nm stack shared by gnome and plasma.

i was trying to be polite )

Comment

Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post

i was trying to be polite )
              The bugs and feature requests already exist throughout the stack. Just trying to make a dead thread on Phoronix less dead. And yeah, its mostly requests for NetworkManager itself.

Comment

How about support for l2tp/ipsec vpn with a shared secret? Unfortunately, while this used to be possible with FreeSwan, it is no longer an option with StrongSwan, at least not on Kubuntu - even though the GUI was still available - ugh!. I spent many hours trying to get this working, even eschewing the GUI and working on the network manager configuration files directly. And no dice...

Yes I have posted on the appropriate forums. Luckily I was able to work around the issue by using the fortinet ssl client.

Actually this reminds me to revisit the nm setting after the 15.04->15.10 update. The VPN options in 15.04 were a bit of a mess with numerous dead-ends (like the l2tp option). Perhaps this got cleaned up.

Comment

Working...
                X