Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.5 On Wayland May Be Ready For Early Adopters

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.5 On Wayland May Be Ready For Early Adopters

KWin maintainer Martin Gr??lin has written a monthly status update concerning the state of KWin and KDE Plasma on Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope it's as easy as Gnome with Wayland to try out, i.e. just select an option in the desktop manager and you're in.

Comment

I wish they instead would work on KDE Plasma not constantly crashing on X11 if a monitor shuts off due to KDE's own power management settings (non-nvidia).. Just saying.. It doesn't seem to be ready even for non-early adopters.

Comment

KDE is a hot mess on X11 as it is......don't try KDE on Wayland on a production machine. Probably won't be truly ready for production use for a couple of more years between the instability of KDE and the newness and expected instability of Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
          KDE is a hot mess on X11 as it is......don't try KDE on Wayland on a production machine. Probably won't be truly ready for produciition use for a couple of more years between the instability of KDE and the newness and expected instability of Wayland.
          what is so messy, i'm using KDE5 daily now

Comment

Well, I upgrade it recently due to F23 release (with application in 15.08 version instead of 15.04 as per F22) and it is amazing. Love it more than before. Very fluid. Very good. I'm an happy user and I will try the wayland session asap.

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post

what is so messy, i'm using KDE5 daily now
              If I try to change an icon's launch option on kde 5, it' crashes.

When I download to many windows decorations, crash.
              When I turn on Kde 5 it crashes.
              Those are the one that I have found.

Comment

Kubuntu 15.04 gave me similar results. Played WAY less nice with GTK programs than did later versions of KDE 4. Tried Netrunner after that....a little better....but didn't like the hangs I had with some KDE programs from the 4 era running in Plasma 5

Bottom line. The guys at KDE should have never released to the broader public the KDE 5 ecosystem until they had fully ported ALL KDE programs to Frameworks 5 using a much more mature version of QT 5. They should have continued to support the KDE 4 ecosystem until sometime in late 2016 before releasing the KDE 5 ecosystem as stable to the public. Yes....have a public BETA for anyone interested. But don't have it included in any distribution until EVERYTHING was not only ported over to 5 but also enough time to see that ALL of it was stable. That would have taken about a year....hence my late 2016 time frame.

Look at Linux Mint....the most ANAL of all distributions when it comes to stability.....( well, maybe Debian would be more ). They won't touch KDE 5 until the next Ubuntu LTS release in April 2016. And that may be optimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post
                  When I download to many windows decorations, crash.
                  I know that one has already been fixed.

When I turn on Kde 5 it crashes.
                  That one's a little hard to believe - how did you find the other bugs if it always crashes right when you start it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                    Kubuntu 15.04 gave me similar results. Played WAY less nice with GTK programs than did later versions of KDE 4. Tried Netrunner after that....a little better....but didn't like the hangs I had with some KDE programs from the 4 era running in Plasma 5

Bottom line. The guys at KDE should have never released to the broader public the KDE 5 ecosystem until they had fully ported ALL KDE programs to Frameworks 5 using a much more mature version of QT 5. They should have continued to support the KDE 4 ecosystem until sometime in late 2016 before releasing the KDE 5 ecosystem as stable to the public. Yes....have a public BETA for anyone interested. But don't have it included in any distribution until EVERYTHING was not only ported over to 5 but also enough time to see that ALL of it was stable. That would have taken about a year....hence my late 2016 time frame.

Look at Linux Mint....the most ANAL of all distributions when it comes to stability.....( well, maybe Debian would be more ). They won't touch KDE 5 until the next Ubuntu LTS release in April 2016. And that may be optimistic.
                    KDE didn't release it and they warned even cats/dogs about staying in the 4 series for stability, it was distros that didn't gave a shit with a flying fuck as they did with the first 4 series and started offering plasma sessions without much warning. blame your distro not KDE. (note Arch and gentoo don't count since those are bleeding edge and you have to install whatever you like)

Most crashes previously mentioned were fixed but you need git snapshots for kde/plasma and Qt 5.6(alpha is too old i believe) and again stick with 4 as recommended by KDE until they say otherwise in production system's

Comment

Working...
                    X