Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 42.0 Improves Private Browsing, Better WebRTC

Phoronix: Firefox 42.0 Improves Private Browsing, Better WebRTC

Mozilla published Firefox 42.0 as the newest version of their cross-platform web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Firefox w/ Gecko is dead to me. I think Firefox's UI and customization is leagues ahead of any other browser, but even with e10s the responsiveness is slower than I'd like (especially on a 6-core, 8GB ram machine...).

Also, there's the whole "Mozilla is fucking everything up" part. Requiring signed addons? Removing your Add-on SDK in favor of Chrome's extension API??
    The powerful addons are literally the reason 50% of your userbase use your browser...

All that being said, the Mozilla sponsored Servo engine is coming along pretty well and that's gonna be amazing when it arrives.

Comment

realy nice that they are getting the audio indicator

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        Firefox w/ Gecko is dead to me. I think Firefox's UI and customization is leagues ahead of any other browser, but even with e10s the responsiveness is slower than I'd like (especially on a 6-core, 8GB ram machine...).

Also, there's the whole "Mozilla is fucking everything up" part. Requiring signed addons? Removing your Add-on SDK in favor of Chrome's extension API??
        The powerful addons are literally the reason 50% of your userbase use your browser...

All that being said, the Mozilla sponsored Servo engine is coming along pretty well and that's gonna be amazing when it arrives.
        e10s is not out yet, it's in preview. Also Chrome already uses that multi-process model. So Firefox needs to change model to prevent stalls and prevent one tab to mess up too much. e10s will probably nice when it evolved. I hope so. I also noticed e10s was much slower before, but lately I think its gotten faster.

Chrome also requires signed addons. Maybe unsigned addons isn't a problem for you, but for many retards (most people in the world) its a big problem and it causes problems and gives Firefox a bad reputation.

The addon SDK is broken, it opens up too much of the browser so its insecure and unreliable. Migrating to a standardized API is a good idea, it will provide cross-browser extensions and have a much safer and more secure extension API.

Serve seems highly interesting, yeah. I get the impression that it is far away though.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
          I didn't see it when i played an flash video with sound in a tab and i didn't have one click muting.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post

I didn't see it when i played an flash video with sound in a tab and i didn't have one click muting.
            doesnt work on all sites i have noticed, but maybe try a Clean Fresah Profile an see if it works

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              e10s is not out yet, it's in preview. Also Chrome already uses that multi-process model. So Firefox needs to change model to prevent stalls and prevent one tab to mess up too much. e10s will probably nice when it evolved. I hope so. I also noticed e10s was much slower before, but lately I think its gotten faster.

Chrome also requires signed addons. Maybe unsigned addons isn't a problem for you, but for many retards (most people in the world) its a big problem and it causes problems and gives Firefox a bad reputation.

The addon SDK is broken, it opens up too much of the browser so its insecure and unreliable. Migrating to a standardized API is a good idea, it will provide cross-browser extensions and have a much safer and more secure extension API.

Serve seems highly interesting, yeah. I get the impression that it is far away though.
              I know e10s is a preview, but I mean that Firefox is much less responsive than other browsers even with e10s (more so than without it). It's definitely gotten faster since it's early days, but it's not quite there.

the signed/unsigned addons thing wouldn't be a problem for most people I assume, but I was using 2 unsigned addons at the time they made that decision. At least there's an about:config option for it now.

the SDK is broken in certain ways, yes, but it is also much more... powerful? feature-ful? I don't know what word to use but you can do MORE with the Addon SDK than you can with the Chrome Extention API. Change the SDK completely if you have to, separate it from the browser itself completely, but don't remove the ability to do more than what the super simple Chrome API allows

Servo is definitely taking longer than I thought it would, but with Rust past version 1.0, I think the development will speed up significantly.

Comment

Firefox seems about as responsive as Chrome for all workloads I have on both Windows and Linux, in single process mode (I don't know on Macs).
                e10s is def. slower and did def. get faster, but it's still not great yet...

As for tracking protection, its basically a light ad-blocker built-in which is pretty great and a huge political change if you ask me.
                Nightly and Aurora have this also optional for non-private browsing!

Imagine if they make this default to on at some point? Heck, it's great for the users and not something Google would ever do. In particular it's great for non-power users than don't know how to install add-ons or anything like that (which is still the vast majority of people!)

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                  Firefox Aurora already ships with all those goodies, I really recommend for developers to use the aurora version since it is way ahead of stable releases and I haven't encountered any issues with aurora builds, they are pretty solid.

Comment

The real big news with this release is that it's the first with a stable 64-bit build for Windows.

Comment

Working...
                    X