Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vivaldi Web Browser Now In Beta

Phoronix: Vivaldi Web Browser Now In Beta

For those of you interested in the multi-platform, closed-source Vivaldi web browser "built for power users", it's now in beta...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I looked at their website, and its *really* slim on details, except for their repeated chanting of what amounts to "Its so geek awesome, you're gonna love it!!!!"

Open source or not?
    If its open source, where is that source? It doesn't appear on their website.
    What is the rendering engine?
    Is there *ANY* useful information about it AT ALL?

With what I've seen, their primary feature seems to be that you can put the tab bar at the bottom of the screen. I need more than that before I will even be willing to waste the time to try it.

Comment

closed-source
      "built for power users"
      Ahahah, jeesus christ.

Comment

I dunno, something feels really off about a closed source browser.

Comment

Who is brave enough to run it with suid?

Code:
          $ vivaldi-beta       
          [1958:1958:1103/152128:FATAL:setuid_sandbox_host.cc(158)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I'm aborting now. You need to make sure that /opt/vivaldi-beta/vivaldi-sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
            Ahahah, jeesus christ.
            It is from the people who made Opera so it probably has all advanced features that Opera once had before it abounded Presto engine.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post

It is from the people who made Opera so it probably has all advanced features that Opera once had before it abounded Presto engine.
              Cool story.

Comment

Apparently it's made by Opera's founder and ex-CEO Jon Stephenson von Tetzchner (who no longer works for Opera) and it looks kinda like Opera 12.x (the last version of opera to use Presto). Oh, nostalgia. As far as I can tell it uses the Blink rendering engine so I'm not quite sure why they closed source it but on the upside Chrome extensions work. Still some areas appear unfinished (like the menu, or mail app that isn't present), and unique features that aren't quite up to snuff like Page Actions, that change settings for a page on the fly but some of them don't work as they should and you can't add custom ones, or quick commands which is AWESOME in theory, that allows you to do a Sublime like search of what action you would like to preform or even change browser settings but without many browser options to filter through and a keyboard shortcut to pop it up it's useless. I'm gonna wait until it's finished so I can try it out more.

Comment

Boo.

They should rename to YetAnotherBrowser or YAB for short as it does nothing that I can't do with another browser - and seriously? Integration of features like notes into my browser? The designers must have brain damage not to realize that you use a hammer to pound nails and a screwdriver to screw in screws.

Why would I want a note tool in a browser, it's called Google Keep or Leafpad - it takes 2 seconds to load the URL.

Are we calling it a "Browser For Friends" now because the user is too dumb to know how what a hyperlink is and how to copy/paste it to their Chat App where their friends are?

And Closed Source? Why is this even in my news feed, I mean I guess it's a binary on Linux, but it has no value whatsoever - prove me wrong, I would like to know why this thing is important and what use-case if any it offers other than being a fandangled browser
                  Last edited by ElectricPrism; 04 November 2015, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X