Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.19.1 Already Baking More Wayland Fixes

Phoronix: GNOME 3.19.1 Already Baking More Wayland Fixes

GNOME Shell 3.19.1 and Mutter 3.19.1 were released today for the imminent GNOME 3.19.1 development release with more fixes/improvements for Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My main concerns at this point are,
    * mouse cursor disappearing, not intended cursor being displayed on xwayland applications.
    * relative motion on xwayland application. Apps like blender, and most games are just unusable.
    * gnome-wayland does not have smoother performance. I don't experience tearing but rather occasional hiccups, lags. Especially the start animation of activity menu.

Comment

my main issue with Gnome3 is it sucks Blood out of ya systrem just as much as a mosquito does out of ya arm

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
        My main concerns at this point are, [cut] gnome-wayland does not have smoother performance. I don't experience tearing but rather occasional hiccups, lags. Especially the start animation of activity menu.
        I'm not sure that your last point can really be fixed, it can probably be improved by optimizations but AFAIK this is a tradeoff, you can have either
        1) you go for compositor/display server managed animations: the animations will be smooth but sometimes the content of the animation can be ugly (if the client application doesn't supply new data fast enough).
        2) you have client applications managing the animations: it will always look nice but there will be occasional hiccups/lags when the client cannot provide data fast enough.

Wayland's devs choice is 'all our frames are perfect' so they went with (2), "all the frames are perfect", it is a nice advertising line which sounds really nice, they just "forgot" to warn that this can create lags/hiccups in animations <sigh>.

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
          * relative motion on xwayland application. Apps like blender, and most games are just unusable.
          Is there a reason why this is default behavior, or has it just not been looked into yet? I tried playing Xonotic, and it's kind of hard to get kills when I just spin my camera erratically at the ceiling or floor

Comment

Working...
          X