OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Lands Many KDE-Related Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trevelyan View Post
    I wish there was a KDE distribution based directly on Debian. I have been hoping that the Kubuntu folks would consider it.
    In addition to the aforementioned distros, there's also a KDE variant of siduction. KDE packaging in sid has been rough lately with the gcc5 transition, but it appears to be settling down now.

Comment

On another note, is anyone else having slow download speeds trying to download the latest TW image? I'm getting a blazing 11KB/s at the max (with Firefox, wget, and aria2c), and I'm not entirely certain what's going on with that.

Edit: Speeds picked up about 20 minutes after I posted
      Last edited by Guest; 28 October 2015, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
        Wonderful; now if only I could actually get Tumbleweed installed... My last 5 or so attempts at it in the past failed horribly during the partitioning stage when getting UEFI and LVM+Encryption involved in any way, and nobody seemingly able to reproduce such issues.

I want the entire drive auto-partitioned during install time, with UEFI involved, with no separate home partition, and the root partition in XFS. Trying this either led to:

- The root partition taking up only 20GB and no more
        - Trying to expand the root partition in the above case with Expert Partitioner would completely wipe out the root parttiion (in other words; I either had to deal with the 20GB volume at install time and just expand it later on (assuming this works), or don't proceed with installation at all)
        - A improperly formatted what-I-assume-is /boot partition
        - Deleting the /boot partition would allow install to complete, but would have broken Plymouth (I think), and require entering the passphrase twice
        why not go with the defaults. btrfs on root is a good idea with a rolling distro, because if a update breaks something you can go back one snapshot and go on with your work. encryption should be possible too. There is a blogger regulary testing such stuff on tumbleweed, maybe reed his latest post or contact him:

he tries the craziest setups also with encryptin lvm uefi and so on

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

why not go with the defaults. btrfs on root is a good idea with a rolling distro, because if a update breaks something you can go back one snapshot and go on with your work. encryption should be possible too. There is a blogger regulary testing such stuff on tumbleweed, maybe reed his latest post or contact him:

he tries the craziest setups also with encryptin lvm uefi and so on
          I should probably learn how Btrfs works and how to handle it, so yeah I'll give using defaults a go (whenever I get TW downloaded anyway). I mainly didn't use it in the past because I didn't really mind reinstalling the entire OS if something happened, and I was used to that sort of partition setup

Although looking at that blog; his latest post seems to detail the exact scenario I ran into. According to comments though; that only happens on the net installer and the DVD installer is fine, but I've had issues even with the DVD version. Not really sure what to expect lol

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

I should probably learn how Btrfs works and how to handle it, so yeah I'll give using defaults a go (whenever I get TW downloaded anyway). I mainly didn't use it in the past because I didn't really mind reinstalling the entire OS if something happened, and I was used to that sort of partition setup

Although looking at that blog; his latest post seems to detail the exact scenario I ran into. According to comments though; that only happens on the net installer and the DVD installer is fine, but I've had issues even with the DVD version. Not really sure what to expect lol
            when tumbleweed gets a new snapshot the servers are usually too busy to download. In that case wait about 12 hours and try again. In between they are reasonably fast.

Handling btrfs in tumbleweed is relatively easy thanks to SUSEs snapper. Read the FAQ and the Tutorial here https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Snapper and you are good to go.

If you still want to go for your own setup, maybe message the blogger and read some more of his posts. He is also active on the opensuse factory mailing list.

Comment

Working...
            X