Many Changes Coming To The Next Version Of SDL2, Wayland/Mir By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many Changes Coming To The Next Version Of SDL2, Wayland/Mir By Default

Phoronix: Many Changes Coming To The Next Version Of SDL2, Wayland/Mir By Default

It's been over two years since the release of SDL 2.0 and 19 months since the debut of the last SDL 2.0 point release, SDL 2.0.3. However, a lot of new activity continues piling in the Git code for whenever the next Simple Directmedia Layer release might happen to benefit cross-platform gamers and other users of this library...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is highly unfortunate that this has taken so long.
    I wish SDL had more releases more often.
    It would be important to have gotten out SDL with Wayland support months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      [...] It would be important to have gotten out SDL with Wayland support months ago.
      Why months ago? Who was vying for games on Wayland when the major desktops aren't even 100% ready with support?

Comment

SDL2 has had Wayland support since 2.0.2, release way back in March 2014.

Comment

I doubt that this will be released as 2.1 - 2.1 would probably break the API (or at least ABI), for the kind of changes done so far this shouldn't be necessary.

I hope 2.0.4 will be released soon, it has lots of great improvements. It should have been released months ago, 2.0.4RC2 was released in June, see https://forums.libsdl.org/viewtopic.php?t=11305
          Afaik some problem turned up in a project ryan or sam (or both) is working on which uses SDL2 and they wanna delay the release until they know how to fix it. Not sure where I read this, probably SDL mailing list or Twitter.

Comment

Some distros have been shipping SDL with Wayland support for months.

Comment

Afaik, pointer locking, confinement and relative pointer motions don't work under Mir or Wayland compositors, yet. From what it looks like this requires patches to the compositor and SLD, GLFW etc.

So you're going to have a bad time with FPSs.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                Afaik, pointer locking, confinement and relative pointer motions don't work under Mir or Wayland compositors, yet. From what it looks like this requires patches to the compositor and SLD, GLFW etc.

So you're going to have a bad time with FPSs.
                Exactly.
                I've run Steam games under Wayland (e.g. Team Fortess 2) and it was impossible to play due to the mouse input being so broken. Wayland may be "desktop ready" in some basic cases, but gaming is not likely to be part of that for awhile, at least in FPS-style games.

Comment

Big one in this update for me is
                  SDL_GetDisplayDPI

Comment

Still waiting (and hoping) for a revival of the older calibrated joystick support.

This bug report was migrated from our old Bugzilla tracker. Reported in version: HG 2.1 Reported for operating system, platform: Linux, All Comments on the original bug report: On 2014-01-19 13:39:...

Half my controllers need this fixed - including my Logitech racing wheel - so any driving game has to be played on the Logitch F301 (minor bleaugh) or keyboard (bleaugh).

Comment

Working...
                    X