No announcement yet.

LibreOffice Is Working On Redoing Their Toolbar Layout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMG, please no MSO Ribbon stuff. It wastes screen size. And I personally doubt it is useful for handling the program. They should fix all the many bugs occuring in Libre Office instead of putting (useless) new features there.
    I am working on a pivot screen, which makes things bearable. But when I am on a laptop I sometimes want to scream because of all the scrolling I have to do. There is no overview once you work with long text.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

I'm trying to understand what the whole big complaint is about the so-called "ribbon" bar. It looks to me more like a change in the format of the FILE menu bar, rather than a replacement for the button bar. Shouldn't the button bar co-exist with that? How exactly does it take up more vertical space (as people are complaining about)? One of the big problems I've had with libreoffice is that the file menu and related are longer lists than the vertical space available on some (smaller) screens, and this looks like it would actually solve that by spreading out the menus horizontally.

Comment

I... I like the ribbon. For someone like me who doesn't use spreadsheets and word-processors daily, the ribbon is superior to the file menu. The problem I have is that I just can't find what I need in writer when I need it. In word (2007, I only use the first tab and whichever one it is you adjust the paper size and borders with) it's all just there in the first tab. But, in writer I keep needing to google little stuff like text alignment, font selection, tables... There's this unreasonable curve to it that you just can't justify to yourself when it comes to word-processing.

I see the same problems with Gimp vs Photoshop and calc vs excel. It's so rare that I actually open and use these programs that when I do it's like using Vim for the first time. A very annoying experience.

So, personally, I'm all for a ribbon like interface in LibreOffice. I'm sure people who use those programs on a daily basis will just disable it since it takes screen space and they already know where that stuff is. But for me it's a big inconvenience to google everything time and time again.

Comment

FINALLY! I'm sorry to burst all the bubbles for the "conservative" individuals out there but when the world is moving towards something, you either follow or be left behind. I'm grateful for the individuals putting their effort into keeping pace with the rest of the world. You may hate Microsoft, but they are the trendsetters and everyone in business follows.

Comment

Originally posted by AmpegV4
            Please Libre, don't move icons and toolbars around like MS do with this office platform it's why i prefer your product. I'm starting to favour software that doesn't change the UI every two weeks. I'm so sick of having to re-learn doing the same things i could already do faster / more efficiently for the sake of animating crap or social crap has focus.

Did you not read that it's an optional feature? Why are you so resistant to something when you have the "option" of turning it on/off. You can still use the old menu items if you like.

Comment

Working...
            X