GNOME Software To Get A "Kudos" Rating System For Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pouar View Post
    I read this as "People were calling our apps crap in these reviews, so we're going to replace it with a rating system based on what we want rather than what our users want"
    I don't doubt that one tiny bit. Gnome does what gnome wants. And that's it. They don't give a shit about their userbase. That's why it's still shrinking.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I just read the dudes blog post and you're absolutely right. He flat out said that he didn't like other peoples opinions so he decided to change the rules so that only his opinion could be conveyed.
    Last edited by duby229; 12 October 2015, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by behrz View Post
      Pretty fed up with all this Gnome bs... I wonder if all this idiots will get fired when the companies that use RHEL move to something else after the total failure that Gnome 3 is prevents the professionals that use it from getting work done. I wonder if any of this dumbos even have a boss... or they're just this sort of people that try to write programs on tablets, and that's why they pursue that.
      Kubuntu 15.10 releases this month and looks to be an out of the park release. Just sayin

Comment

I like how many users here complains about GNOME standards. I say this because they are actually pretty useful. Many projects, like XFCE, LXDE, Unity or even KDE don't have the same amount of care GNOME does for usability and accessibility. While GNOME isn't the most resourceful DE out there (actually, it doesn't need to be), it's pretty robust and usable, thanks to the HIG and the level of integration of its desktop.

Is there room for improvement? Yes, definetly. Could it be surpassed by KDE anytime soon? Yes, hopefully. But right now, it's by far the most user friendly linux interface we have, and it gets better in each release.

About the new rating system, I like the idea very much. It would enforce some level of commitment by some lazy developers, who think documentation or good desktop integration aren't necessary or even desirable. However, the user ratings must stay, since they give us an idea of how useful the app is.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
          Like gnome project apps aren't like that already. Just take gnome-system-monitor 3.18 (major stable release), it has a grey empty widget occupying half of application window
          No, sure, one can try to feed users with crappy programs and disregard feedback. Show middle finger to devs. Screw up those making themes. But it could have its price. I can see bunch of devs already got aggravated and ditched GTK3. They either did fallback to GTK2 or even gone Qt, even if it req's to rewrite whole UI code. And if it would go with same course and speed, Gnome/GTK devs could once wake up just to get idea they are just as popular as FLTK or E17.

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
            No, sure, one can try to feed users with crappy programs and disregard feedback. Show middle finger to devs. Screw up those making themes. But it could have its price. I can see bunch of devs already got aggravated and ditched GTK3. They either did fallback to GTK2 or even gone Qt, even if it req's to rewrite whole UI code. And if it would go with same course and speed, Gnome/GTK devs could once wake up just to get idea they are just as popular as FLTK or E17.
            As long as you're not using custom widgets, and the application is factored properly (which is to say to MVC or MVVM) scraping off the UI layer and rewriting it is effectively trivial.

Comment

Still better than this:

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                Still better than this:

Wrong. As Gnome shows us, you can do it even worse. Now 1-star garbage could be "quite okay" if it comes with documentation, screenshots and hi-dpi icons.

And hmm, I got idea how to improve their "kudos" system even further! Isn't it nice to pay some few bucks to improve rating really quickly? Now you can turn your garbage into shining superb five stars. Just pay $100 and rock-n-roll. Or 4.5 stars for $50. Isn't it quite a bargain?!

Comment

Working...
                X