Qt 5.6 Drops WebKit, Qt QML Uses Less Memory & Other Forthcoming Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

It's just a reflex. Every time a new buzzword is upon us, those not automatically lining up behind it are marked as holding back the progress of the world.

Why are they not using QtUberkit9000? Something like that bug77?

What's the target memory requirements for mobile devices using Qt and do they plan on reducing memory usage more?
    Last edited by My8th; 12 October 2015, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
      glad that webkit is being dropped, a lot of projects(otter, qupzilla, qutebrowser, etc) still use it as a default despite it having a ton of bugs/performance issues so hopefully they'll be forced to upgrade to webengine.
      The first thing that comes to mind is what software doesn't have bugs, especially complex web engines. The second thing that comes to mind if why not work to improve the WebKit derivative?

I'm simply not convinced of the value in generating a new web solution every couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

The first thing that comes to mind is what software doesn't have bugs, especially complex web engines. The second thing that comes to mind if why not work to improve the WebKit derivative?

I'm simply not convinced of the value in generating a new web solution every couple of years.
        QtWebengine is not a new thing, it's basically a Blink wrapper. And the Qt Project doesn't have the manpower to maintain something as big as webkit.

Comment

lethal, sure, developers have seen that list and even gave some comments, most of that stuff will be eventually available, in one form or another.
          But it is not yet done and QtWebKit is already dead.

Comment

Another data point, Chromium can't be compiled using MinGW-w64, so what's to happen to distros like MSYS2 that cannot use non-FOSS compilers?

Comment

Originally posted by giucam
              it's basically a Blink wrapper. And the Qt Project doesn't have the manpower to maintain something as big as webkit.
              As if there was a big difference in the amount of code in a Blink wrapper vs a Webkit wrapper. It's pure politics.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                As if there was a big difference in the amount of code in a Blink wrapper vs a Webkit wrapper. It's pure politics.
                Well, we never had a Blink wrapper or a WebKit wrapper. QtWebKit was a WebKit port, and QtWebEngine is a Chromium API. The difference is that QtWebKit implemented both platform backend and API for WebKit (WebKit could used Qt as a platform), QtWebEngine does not try to be a platform abstraction layer for Chromium, which is what makes it more reliably similar to Chrome than QtWebKit ever was to Safari, but also means we don't get powerful features like being able to hook into QtNetwork or QPainter.

Comment

Is Qt being sold out to chrome? I am so glad I am not a Web browser dev. Knowing how many work arounds in Web programming and how browsers are forced to read dirty code makes me not surprised how bloated the big browsers are. I am all for less bloat but it almost always means a loss somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
                    Is Qt being sold out to chrome?
                    What makes you think so?

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
                    I am so glad I am not a Web browser dev. Knowing how many work arounds in Web programming and how browsers are forced to read dirty code makes me not surprised how bloated the big browsers are. I am all for less bloat but it almost always means a loss somewhere else.
                    I'd always take usability and stability over bloatedness. With web browsers, as you said, they have to have some level of bloat to work on today's web.

Comment

Originally posted by The Compiler View Post

What makes you think so?

I'd always take usability and stability over bloatedness. With web browsers, as you said, they have to have some level of bloat to work on today's web.
                      Just worried about use of any chrome based tools mingling with Qt. Otherwise I am probably way off on that one

Yes features and stability are the most important. I feel that speed comes as a result of clean code anyway since you know less is more.

For me both waterfox and chrome are bloated. I see them chew up 4GB of ram and wonder how? Sure I have a lot of tabs open but 4GB for a Web browser seems excessive. I miss the days when Firefox was a fresh browser that ran on nothing. Irony is that even coming this far I find chrome will crash on webgl often. So I went back to waterfox. I will give your browser a shot and see how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                      X