Enlightenment 0.20 Alpha Has Full Wayland Support, Better FreeBSD Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlightenment 0.20 Alpha Has Full Wayland Support, Better FreeBSD Support

Phoronix: Enlightenment 0.20 Alpha Has Full Wayland Support, Better FreeBSD Support

Enlightenment DR 0.20 Alpha has been released as the first step towards E20 with one year having passed since E19...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

e19 is buggy on FreeBSD, hopefully they have fixed the outstanding bugs which kind of render e19 unusable on FreeBSD.

On the other hand Jeff of Bodhi project has forked e17 as Moksha, but BSD support is lacking I think.

I feel sad that BSD licensed software is not working on BSD operating systems.

Comment

Originally posted by mzs_47 View Post
      Should there be any correlation?
      Last edited by magika; 09 October 2015, 02:51 PM. Reason: grammar topkek

Comment

For what its worth most of the libraries that make up the EFL (Enlightenment Foundation Libraries) including the core libs that the other libraries are built on are licensed LGPLv2.1+ which makes it impossible to run enlightenment using only software thats licensed under BSD/MIT Licenses.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
          Is there should be any correlation?
          Yes, as enlightenment is licensed mostly under BSD license, in my opinion, expecting proper support for BSD operating systems is valid.

simotek I see, but majority of e is under BSD license, in fact the foundation wants the software to be used as widely as possible, hence BSD license, they may have reasons for LGPL licensing.
          As far as I know, FreeBSD does not mind having GPL/LGPL software in ports. It is removed from the base OS which is purely BSD.

Comment

Yes, as enlightenment is licensed mostly under BSD license, in my opinion, expecting proper support for BSD operating systems is valid.

simotek I see, but majority of e is under BSD license, in fact the foundation wants the software to be used as widely as possible, hence BSD license, they may have reasons for LGPL licensing.
            As far as I know, FreeBSD does not mind having GPL/LGPL software in ports. It is removed from the base OS which is purely BSD.
            As MIT/BSD are almost same, hypothetically speaking, if it was under MIT license what OS should they properly support then?

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
              As MIT/BSD are almost same, hypothetically speaking, if it was under MIT license what OS should they properly support then?
              Hypothetically speaking, in the ideal case every OS on earth.

The point of expecting this software to run on BSDs is based on the motivation of project(e19) to be used extensively and however insignificant it might be, BSD license is the worded spirit of BSD project. Other permissive licenses also share the same sentiment.

If you then compare the support of other DEs which work well on BSD( like GNOME, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, etc) which are mostly under GPL/LGPL.
              Can't we expect what is licensed under BSD to work on BSDs?

Comment

mzs_47 if you ask the e dev's they will tell you that far more of enlightenment is implemented in its libraries then in the core of enlightenment itself, thats especially the case in e20 where enlightenment has swapped out its own old widget set for the lgpl2 based elementary widget set which is part of the efl libs.

Comment

Working...
                X