Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPlayer 1.2 Released

Phoronix: MPlayer 1.2 Released

It's been three years since the release of MPlayer 1.1 while surprisingly this weekend MPlayer 1.2 was released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The truth is the project is more or less dead and it has been in maintenance mode for the past couple of years with no new features being added and serious bugs being neglected for the sake of "not breaking the code base", e.g. mplayer cannot actually correctly seek in the stream the designated time, going and leaving full screen mode resets the pause state, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

Now which player to use, the Judian Peoples Front player or the Peoples Front of Judia player ?

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
        Now which player to use, the Judian Peoples Front player or the Peoples Front of Judia player ?
        Good point, they should be more creative in the naming of their projects!
        (Huge Monty Python fan, had to login just for this ​)

Comment

Make a link to any and name it you like, that would probably be Slartifartblast's Player

Comment

These players are all individuals!

Comment

What do you mean? An African or European media player?

Comment

Speaking of MPlayers, I haven't seen much coverage of Baka MPlayer:

It's an MPV-based MPlayer-like GUI.

Comment

Oh, they learned to use .xz? Finally axed out at least some libs? And even require GTK2, ditching GTK 1.x support which was broken anyway and nobody cared? Wow, if they're serious about it...
                  1) Now they IMHO should also learn to use git I guess. SVN in 2015? This is just as retarded as GTK 1.x. Not to mention it is damn slow in updating large source tree and sucks very hard as VERSION CONTROL SYSTEM. Say, good luck to bisect bug with SVN...
                  2) Then they IMHO should trash their mumblings about "binary codecs" to garbage bin. Uhm, anyone in sane mind still uses that? From what I can see, ffmpeg these days supports even really arcane formats one would have hard time to find in the wild.
                  3) Well, now IMHO they should get idea ffmpeg is library as well and stop including it to their source tree. Whole bunch of progs can use "system" ffmpeg. And only mplayer being such a badass exception. Stop reinventing damn wheels. And I do not want to have 5 copies of ffmpeg in my system, whatever. Five times more patching of security advisories, etc after all.

Comment

SystemCrasher, MPlayer is a lost cause. That is why the forks exist, and why mpv is thriving now. You are not the first person that wants to modernize MPlayer. The current maintainers of MPlayer are strictly against any serious modernization efforts or removal of deprecated code (As long as there is still a single person that uses it, it shouldn't be removed! No matter how crappy or bitrotted the code is!). This has been going on since I know the project (about 2008).

Comment

Working...
                    X