Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Releases SeaMonkey 2.38

Phoronix: Mozilla Releases SeaMonkey 2.38

It's not too often these days that we hear about SeaMonkey, Mozilla's all-in-one Internet Suite, but an update to it is available this weekend...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm a big Seamonkey fan - a very natural move from my beloved Netscape Navigator some years ago. I shall download the update!

Comment

You'd think that out of all the browser companies, Mozilla would be the one who understood best that no one is interested in netscape clones and they shouldn't follow the path that killed it.

However, for years now they've been going down the same path and refuse to listen to web developers telling them to quit f'ing around with adding stupid features like chat in your browsers and instead focus on performance, fix bugs and make the developer tools proper (unusable atm).

Instead of listenening, they said they're concerned about users not developers opinions.... Result: developers stopped using firefox for developement, in mass, result: many sites not working properly anymore on firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by MiUNX View Post
        Instead of listenening, they said they're concerned about users not developers opinions.... Result: developers stopped using firefox for developement, in mass, result: many sites not working properly anymore on firefox.
        I noticed this. A growing number of sites have problems with Firefox. Phoronix forum, for example, don't permit you to right click and speal check while you are typing a reply, so my lack of english language is more evident when I use Firefox instead of Chrome :-)

And I agree about the features they are including, like the Pocket and Hello, witch are make with help of third parties with questionable privacy policies.

Comment

First of all SeaMonkey is not really a Mozilla product. It is a community driven project supported by Mozilla. SeaMonkey is one of the few browsers that have a sane user interface without wasted screen space. It also has a lot of things built in including email client and irc chat. It is essentially identical to the old Mozilla Suite / Netscape Communicator.
          Clean, simple and very stable and gets out of your way. One if , if not the best ....oh and this was replied to with SeaMonkey 2.38

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I noticed this. A growing number of sites have problems with Firefox. Phoronix forum, for example, don't permit you to right click and speal check while you are typing a reply, so my lack of english language is more evident when I use Firefox instead of Chrome :-)
            A simple text input box wouldn't have issues with right clicks.

Also, what sites other than Phoronix have problems with Firefox? I haven't encountered many. It's not the old days when everything required IE.

Comment

I wonder what's going on with this project. They used to closely follow Firefox, but this year they've released nothing between some release in March and 2.38b1. Then they didn't release any other beta versions of 2.38. Firefox 41 was released a few days ago and 2.38 still doesn't show up on the official site.
              (I know, this is now a community driven project. I'm not demanding anything, I'd just like to know what's going on, since there was no public announcement. Or if there was, I must have missed it.)

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: Mozilla Releases SeaMonkey 2.38

It's not too often these days that we hear about SeaMonkey, Mozilla's all-in-one Internet Suite, but an update to it is available this weekend...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...SeaMonkey-2.38
                I love this retro browser suite, and I shall download the updated version immediately. It's a good tool to have on hand, even though I tend to use chrome for my day to day internet usage.

Comment

I used to use Seamonkey all the time, but it gave the impression that it was falling behind so I stopped using it a while back. Good to see that it's still getting some attension--might give it a whirl later to see what it's about now.

Comment

Still using it every day.
                    The fancy fact is, that once FF was meant to be a small and fast extraction from the big Mozilla Suite. And SM was following the Suite. By now sometimes SM seems faster to me. And FF is adding more bloat with every release (anybody remembers FF 3? I think there it was fast). Yes, SM and FF uses a common base and thus SM probably also has some useless code for non-sense in it. But the user interface is by far better. And did not really change over the past years.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                    X