Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.18 On Fedora 23: X.Org vs. Wayland Performance

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GNOME 3.18 On Fedora 23: X.Org vs. Wayland Performance

    Phoronix: GNOME 3.18 On Fedora 23: X.Org vs. Wayland Performance

    With GNOME 3.18 having many Wayland improvements, I decided to test out the GNOME 3.18 stack on Fedora 23 Beta when running GNOME on a conventional X.Org Server and then using GNOME on Wayland while running various OpenGL games.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=22177

  • #2
    Hey Michael,

    It seems like you are always using XWayland. Try running xonotic like that:

    SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland xonotic-sdl ....

    This should provide a big performance boost
    Last edited by MuPuF; 24 September 2015, 12:33 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Interesting. It would be convenient to have page 3 and 4 results combined to compare windowed vs fullscreen directly. why is fullscreen in xwayland so much worse than windowed?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
        Hey Michael,

        It seems like you are always using XWayland. Try running xonotic like that:

        SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland xonotic-sdl ....
        I came here to say this but couldn't remember my password. Oh well.

        Awkwardly, the Wayland drivers for SDL2 don't draw window decorations. It makes it kind of annoying to use in windowed mode. In GNOME, you can still move the window by holding your modifier key (I use Super.) and clicking and dragging anywhere in the window, thankfully.
        Last edited by joeshmoe42; 24 September 2015, 12:43 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by roxamis View Post
          Interesting. It would be convenient to have page 3 and 4 results combined to compare windowed vs fullscreen directly. why is fullscreen in xwayland so much worse than windowed?
          Because mutter under X11 unredirects fullscreen windows letting them bypass the compositor. While on wayland it does not do that yet which means there is an extra copy for each frame costing performance.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by drago01 View Post

            Because mutter under X11 unredirects fullscreen windows letting them bypass the compositor. While on wayland it does not do that yet which means there is an extra copy for each frame costing performance.

            i seem to remember that patch for this was available for quite a while now. is it still not included in upstream?

            Comment


            • #7
              I have had great performance when using the native SDL backend on Wayland.

              Comment


              • #8
                It might be nicer if graphs used logos, especially if the bars are the same color. in this case the Xorg and Wayland logos could be used.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by drago01 View Post

                  Because mutter under X11 unredirects fullscreen windows letting them bypass the compositor. While on wayland it does not do that yet which means there is an extra copy for each frame costing performance.
                  XWayland.

                  Wayland itself shouldn't have any fullscreen issues, it's just when running apps on XWayland that this comes up.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

                    XWayland.

                    Wayland itself shouldn't have any fullscreen issues, it's just when running apps on XWayland that this comes up.
                    No it has nothing to do with XWayland. The compositor does not unredirect any windows doesn't matter whether they are X wayland windows or not.
                    Note: I started working on that feature but never finished it.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X