Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE3-Forked Trinity Desktop Sees New Release

Phoronix: KDE3-Forked Trinity Desktop Sees New Release

Version 14.0.1 of the Trinity Desktop Environment is now available, a fork of the KDE 3 Desktop Environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My grandpa likes this piece of news.

Comment

Having spent the better part of the last decade using KDE 3 both at work and at home, its good to see the project is still being actively maintained.
      Shame there's no Fedora packages for it.

From a security perspective, I wonder if switching to Qt 4.x or even Qt 5.x isn't slowly becoming urgent.
      (Though, they can theoretically track the Qt3 security patches generated by RHEL or another enterprise Linux).

- Gilboa
      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

I don't understand, why they still use Qt3...

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
          I don't understand, why they still use Qt3...
          Because KDE 3 is build around Qt3

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post

Yeah, but it would have been better ported. KDE4 wasn't just porting to Qt4, it was also switching to Plasma instead of KDesktop, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
              Yeah, but it would have been better ported. KDE4 wasn't just porting to Qt4, it was also switching to Plasma instead of KDesktop, etc.
              Because there's only a handful of developers working on Trinity, there's no way they can port everything forward to Qt4 or 5. They've got their hands full just trying to do bugfixes.

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post
                What would be the benefit of Qt5-based Trinity over LXQt with modern KDE apps?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                  What would be the benefit of Qt5-based Trinity over LXQt with modern KDE apps?
                  Nostalgia!

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Because there's only a handful of developers working on Trinity, there's no way they can port everything forward to Qt4 or 5. They've got their hands full just trying to do bugfixes.
                    True, but most is already ported by KDE. Just porting kdesktop might be enough for at least the general feel.

Comment

Working...
                    X