Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE3-Forked Trinity Desktop Sees New Release

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KDE3-Forked Trinity Desktop Sees New Release

    Phoronix: KDE3-Forked Trinity Desktop Sees New Release

    Version 14.0.1 of the Trinity Desktop Environment is now available, a fork of the KDE 3 Desktop Environment...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Trinity-14.0.1

  • #2
    My grandpa likes this piece of news.

    Comment


    • #3
      Having spent the better part of the last decade using KDE 3 both at work and at home, its good to see the project is still being actively maintained.
      Shame there's no Fedora packages for it.

      From a security perspective, I wonder if switching to Qt 4.x or even Qt 5.x isn't slowly becoming urgent.
      (Though, they can theoretically track the Qt3 security patches generated by RHEL or another enterprise Linux).

      - Gilboa
      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q.
      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX550 (to-VM).
      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33, Dell U2711.

      Comment


      • #4
        I don't understand, why they still use Qt3...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Steffo View Post
          I don't understand, why they still use Qt3...
          Because KDE 3 is build around Qt3

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by boffo View Post

            Because KDE 3 is build around Qt3
            Yeah, but it would have been better ported. KDE4 wasn't just porting to Qt4, it was also switching to Plasma instead of KDesktop, etc.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by carewolf View Post
              Yeah, but it would have been better ported. KDE4 wasn't just porting to Qt4, it was also switching to Plasma instead of KDesktop, etc.
              Because there's only a handful of developers working on Trinity, there's no way they can port everything forward to Qt4 or 5. They've got their hands full just trying to do bugfixes.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by boffo View Post
                Because KDE 3 is build around Qt3
                What would be the benefit of Qt5-based Trinity over LXQt with modern KDE apps?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                  What would be the benefit of Qt5-based Trinity over LXQt with modern KDE apps?
                  Nostalgia!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

                    Because there's only a handful of developers working on Trinity, there's no way they can port everything forward to Qt4 or 5. They've got their hands full just trying to do bugfixes.
                    True, but most is already ported by KDE. Just porting kdesktop might be enough for at least the general feel.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X