Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding Slowdowns In Linux's Suspend/Resume Process

Phoronix: Finding Slowdowns In Linux's Suspend/Resume Process

One of the recent project's out of the Intel Open-Source Technology Center has been to track down delays in the Linux kernel's suspend and resume process...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't give a shit about performance. I just want it to work.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
      Well, performance is important but yeah, it doesn't work at all for me, when I resume I get a crippled desktop (Kubuntu 15.04 KF5, even with nvidia 355.06) looking somewhat like white noise with geometrical shapes.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
        I just want a performant system. I don't give a shit about what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by winie View Post
          I just want a performant system. I don't give a shit about what you think.
          What's the point of having high performance if it doesn't work?

Comment

On my HP laptop suspend takes 3 seconds and resume the same, so I'm pretty happy with it. Now, if only hibernation worked at all...

Comment

Sitting here with my Asus UX305F and suspend and resume it many times per day. Haven't had any issues and it is pretty much instant both on suspend and resume. It seems to work pretty well for pure Broadwell hardware.

Comment

I had problem on resuming untill I enabled repost video on S3 resume.
                Last edited by Azrael5; 30 August 2015, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Interestingly this Intel project seems to interface with Phoronix Test Suite as is cleary visible from the github.com page in the commit messages for recent changes to some files.

Comment

It is important to note that this is not just about suspend/resume on Laptops or Desktops, where a couple seconds here and there is not much difference, especially for suspend.

The suspend/resume functionality is also heavily used on embedded systems such as smartphones, tablets where it is used as a major power saving feature. And in this case rapid suspend/resume is absolutely critical. as you would ideally want to be it totally instantaneous so that the user does not notice the device is actually sleeping most of the time to save power.

Comment

Working...
                    X