Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimental Unity Editor Now Available For Linux

Phoronix: Experimental Unity Editor Now Available For Linux

Following last month's state of Unity on Linux, an experimental build of the Unity Editor is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is great news for me, finally able to create games right on our OS of choice, well sorta, still BETA/Alpha but a step in the direction I wanted

Comment

Hmph, get this drm infested game making toy off my Linux!
      UE4 may appear harder or rougher round the edges but does everything more "right". Open source, C++, more platform support (incl BSD), project generation etc...
      Last edited by kpedersen; 26 August 2015, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        What kind of moron are you? No one is putting "this drm infested game making toy" (a funny toy, considering that it helps game developers to create games that are widely well received and make a lot of money) on your Linux. You don't like it, just don't install it. You don't like games that use it, just don't buy them.

Comment

Well, I firmly believe hardware support should be totally open source, but support for software should be as universal as possible. Any software regardless of whether it's proprietary or OSS should be welcomed and supported. Maybe those same developers will someday change their minds once they get exposure to real OSS projects.

Comment

UE4 may appear harder or rougher round the edges but does everything more "right". Open source, C++, more platform support (incl BSD), project generation etc...
            Wow, you must really be a bright guy eh?

If you like your Linux so much, this should make you happy, since it will bring more users to the platform and more developers should follow eventually.
            For you dear Linux to succeed on the desktop we must run all kinds of manstream applications, such as Adobe's for example.

I can't even tell what exacly is "DRM infested" for you on Unity...

Don't be a fool.

Comment

Unity is just in so much better shape already for Linux tha UE4, also UE4 is not open source... And some stuff is super frustrating I think as well that UE4 is the future, but right now its simply not an option for a lot of things, including VR experiments by myself with google cardboard on ios for example.. theres just SO much documentation missing its insane.

Comment

I think the fact Unity requires a 32bit subsystem is a DOA for me. It installs over 2GB for the editor environment [bloat] but then blows up the Debian 64 bit system and GNOME 3.16 wasting time working with 32 bit. Pass.

Then again Unreal isn't native for Linux. It's screwed either way.
                Last edited by Marc Driftmeyer; 26 August 2015, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mdias View Post
                  I can't even tell what exacly is "DRM infested" for you on Unity...
                  You need to activate online. DRM comes in many clever and hidden ways. If in doubt, try installing on a freshly installed offline computer.

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
                  UE4 is not open source....
                  It is, it just isn't under an OSS approved license such as GPL or BSD. Developers get full source access. This is infinitely more open than the closed-source Unity (otherwise it would have been ported to Linux and BSD, plus 64-bit ages ago).

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  Any software regardless of whether it's proprietary or OSS should be welcomed and supported..
                  I used to think this but after experience with a software package like Borland Kylix (a C++ GUI tool), proprietary (toy) software like this just dies, killing dozens, if not hundreds of projects instantly, burning fingers and scaring developers away from a platform for many many years.

Unity has also given very little back to the Mono project, and is happy sticking with an ancient version of the C-sharp compiler instead rather than be less greedy and pay the upstream project for the stuff they use.

We took steps at work into re-implementing Unity via Mutiny (http://www.mutiny3d.org) before simply deciding on Unreal Engine for future projects. Admittedly that is even before UE4 was released or available to indie devs. We also needed to output to WebGL / Emscripten and since Unity was closed-source (with a source licence being a myth), we had no other choice anyway.
                  Last edited by kpedersen; 26 August 2015, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X