Opera Browser Company May Sell Itself Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eydee View Post
    For me, Opera was the same as IE. No ad blocking capabilities, no chance of me ever using it. Simple.
    Yeah, except Opera does and did have ad blocking capabilities. FUD Train much? For me Opera has a good Balance. It's a browser with Chrome's Performance but without ist clutter. Bookmark syncing's there, and that's enough for me.

Comment

Fuck Opera!
      I won't miss it.
      Hope they get dismantled or bought and dismantled, that way we have one less proprietary software.

Comment

Originally posted by MNKyDeth View Post
        I still enjoy Opera 12.17

Ever since they abandoned the Presto engine it's all been down hill. They needed to make the new versions look and have the exact same functionality as the old Presto versions to retain the previous loyal userbase.

Like I said, I still use Opera 12.17 as it is just the best browser around in terms of functionality. At least for me it is. Firefox can come close but not there yet unless I use a ton of browser mods. I won't use chrome except for Netflix so....

Imo it's their fault no one uses the newer versions of the browser since it really is nothing to write home about. I like using Dillo more come to think of it.
        I cannot agree more my friend...

Comment

Honestly, I'd probably use Midori all the time if it didn't crash every stinkin' time I do anything. I like the simple stuff, remember when Firefox was simple? I'm referring Firefox 2x and IE4 days. Simple and Clean UI.

Comment

I liked Opera back in its Presto days, but after the switch to Blink the only reason to use their browser was if you didnt want to use Chrome. Even then, it lags behind Chrome when it comes to certain features.

If instead of chasing after Chrome, they had helped improve the Gecko engine, then maybe they wouldn't have become "yet another Blink/Webkit browser". Or maybe open sourcing Presto would have helped too.
            Last edited by Aeder; 09 August 2015, 02:24 PM.

Comment

I wonder how do they make money. How does browser make money. It was free wasn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
                I wonder how do they make money. How does browser make money. It was free wasn't it?
                Despite the web browser being what most people associate with Opera Software--which does make a few pennies from search and such--most of their revenues are from their mobile ad platform and licensing fees for things like the app store for smart TVs.

Comment

They kinda fixed a lot, now on 31/32 it's usable, with a couple of well placed extensions that is, but there are still issues and they know about them, the community in pretty strong (and this is the sad part), although as things work out now Vivaldi will get a jump in user base rather sooner than later.

Comment

Those bustards could release Presto to community under free license but they didn't. Fuck them.

Comment

So now when other browsers start dying off, Opera users can brag that "Opera Did it First!™"?

Comment

Working...
                      X