Running CrossOver 14 Linux For An Easier Wine Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sobkas View Post

You were able to run them trough Steam? Steam is 32-bit app and running it on 64-bit prefix is complicated at best... http://wiki.winehq.org/Wine64
    Yes, through Steam. You just create an 64 bit Wineprefix and install Steam in it, then the respective games.
    Check this video at min 19.05, there's both Wolfenstein games running through Steam.

Last edited by philips; 08 August 2015, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
      Maybe Steam In Home Streaming will work to Steam Photoshop over LAN.
      Sure it can. However, that screenshot I posted demonstrates what In-Home Streaming can do with a couple scripts that I've developed but haven't publically released. IHS *default behavior* only supports full-screen games launched from within the Steam library game list.

As for Photoshop, streaming isn't really necessary as you can just use PlayOnLinux or Crossover to run the app directly in Linux, unless you only have one Photoshop license and its already installed on another PC.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
        But I do think it's worth mentioning PlayOnLinux's alternative approach: it can actually download and use several different versions of WINE per application. So, if a recipe is known to work well with a specific version, it will only use that. CrossOver only uses its internal WINE.
        As a loyal customer of CrossOver, I actually wrote to them to see about support multiple instance of WINE.
        The feedback from them is that it would creates a headache for their CSR.
        It's understandable as people like you and me will probably have our own taste of customized WINE.

Comment

Originally posted by lovenemesis View Post

As a loyal customer of CrossOver, I actually wrote to them to see about support multiple instance of WINE.
          The feedback from them is that it would creates a headache for their CSR.
          It's understandable as people like you and me will probably have our own taste of customized WINE.
          IMO this is the big advantage with CrossOver. You get a tested proven method and configuration for running a particular Windows program. With free wine, you're on your own to tweak the settings and figure out what works and what doesn't. Also I've found their support to be responsive and really helpful in sorting out issues. I've been a CrossOver subscriber for probably 8 years now, mainly for playing WoW, but also games like id Rage, RTCW, and other first person shooters.

Comment

Working...
          X