Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running CrossOver 14 Linux For An Easier Wine Experience

Phoronix: Running CrossOver 14 Linux For An Easier Wine Experience

For a large portion of Linux and Mac users the reality is there will be some Windows program that they will still have to use on a daily or near-daily basis. For many the answer is Wine, letting them use their applications with a variable amount of success on their new *nix system. Unfortunately Wine doesn't come with any guarantee of support for a given application, nor is there any level of support from the developers beyond the community, or a generous developer. Enter CrossOver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So there is a growing problem with Wine right now. There are more and more 64bit games on 32bit Steam, but distributions don't support 32/64 bit wine prefixes. Does CrossOver supports them? Games like Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin, MGS: Ground Zeros comes to mind.
    RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

CrossOver is a good application and has some fixes in it's Wine version for certain games. However, in some ways it's GUI is slower and has fewer features than the PlayOnLinux GUI. The Wine version manager is a big advantage for POL IMO. I've purchased CrossOver in the past but only to support Wine development efforts since Codeweavers probably does 75% of the development work (judging by the Git logs). I rarely use the software, preferring PlayOnLinux. Nevertheless, I'll probably renew my subscription once workable DirectX 10 and 11 support arrives and games like Grand Theft Auto V start working, as mentioned in "the coming months."

Another useful tool is Steam In-Home Streaming. I've developed a couple scripts (not publically released) that enable In-Home Streaming to launch remote Windows applications via Linux desktop shortcut icons in automatic windowed mode at proper, user controlled resolutions. This is really useful for accessing/running Windows 10 Metro / Modern (WinRT) applications, such as Microsoft Edge on Linux, which Wine doesn't support.

Comment

I've been a loyal CrossOver subscriber for a long time. In my organization, it allows us to run Office 2010 without a hitch over Ubuntu LTSP terminals. At home, it lets me run many Steam for Windows games well! Very much worth the money, especially when you realize that this money helps fund WINE.

But I do think it's worth mentioning PlayOnLinux's alternative approach: it can actually download and use several different versions of WINE per application. So, if a recipe is known to work well with a specific version, it will only use that. CrossOver only uses its internal WINE.

I also think PlayOnLinux should change its name. It does much more than games, and also runs on Mac OS X.

Comment

Also q4wine is a great application to easily handle your wine prefixes as install dependencies with a few clicks

Comment

Originally posted by sobkas View Post
            So there is a growing problem with Wine right now. There are more and more 64bit games on 32bit Steam, but distributions don't support 32/64 bit wine prefixes. Does CrossOver supports them? Games like Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin, MGS: Ground Zeros comes to mind.
            I just played few weeks ago both Wolfenstein games (64 bit only) through wine (PlayOnLinux).
            What distro doesn't support 64 bit wine?

Comment

Originally posted by philips View Post
              I just played few weeks ago both Wolfenstein games (64 bit only) through wine (PlayOnLinux).
              What distro doesn't support 64 bit wine?
              You were able to run them trough Steam? Steam is 32-bit app and running it on 64-bit prefix is complicated at best... http://wiki.winehq.org/Wine64
              RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

Originally posted by sobkas View Post

You were able to run them trough Steam? Steam is 32-bit app and running it on 64-bit prefix is complicated at best... http://wiki.winehq.org/Wine64
                Wine installs a 64-bit prefix by default, installing a 32-bit one is a hassle. i never had problems with running Steam or any other 32-bit program in these prefixes.

The real problem is that almost all of these 64-bit games require DX11, which is still not available. (The above mentioned DS2 Sotfs won't run either because of this.)

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Wine installs a 64-bit prefix by default, installing a 32-bit one is a hassle. i never had problems with running Steam or any other 32-bit program in these prefixes.

The real problem is that almost all of these 64-bit games require DX11, which is still not available. (The above mentioned DS2 Sotfs won't run either because of this.)
                  I generally use a 32-bit WINE prefix because I have had issues with a 64-bit on in the past, and most windows applications are 32 bit still. I might have to try running steam in a 64-bit prefix and see what happens. Also, I look forward to when we might one day get DX11 support. DX12 support might not be very difficult to implement, assuming it has a similar architecture to Vulkan, but it might include more features at launch.

Comment

Maybe Steam In Home Streaming will work to Steam Photoshop over LAN.

Comment

Working...
                    X