No announcement yet.

Phoronix Reader: "GTK3 Kills Support For KDE"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, it's a fine mess. I predict that a single excellent toolkit will become the standard on Linux as soon as it is added to the Linux kernel, i.e. never And until never comes, geeks will complain that Linux doesn't get adopted because people CBA to learn that different appliances come with different front panels and usage models-- oh, wait...

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

That doesn't negate the porting of the GTK2 portions to GTK3 which is indeed happening.
      But it does negate the comment i was replying to.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
        Are you sure? I can't find any indication Martin Briza is at all involved with Gnome. On the contrary, he seems to be the KDE/Qt theming guy at Fedora.
        Yep, Martin comes from KDE/Qt camp, that's why he's working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          What really should happen is completely removing either one, and everyone should use the other. Maybe they should be combined keeping the best features and some backwards compatibility for a period of time. The point is, developers should strive for decreasing the fragmentation of the linux desktop, not keep fighting and f***ing a lot of users in the process. is there a single person who gets anything good out of this? Nope, apart from the one who "wins" the argument.
          Fragmentation? Or freedom to choose? I do not like Gnome3, I won't use it, and having something like that is complete deal killer for me. What I like in Linux is that I have freedom to choose. If I don't like some DE, I choose another, from myriad of alternatives. If that freedom is taken away in some misguided attempt to remove "fragmentation", then I'll likely ditch Linux entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by TiberiusDuval View Post
            ... If that freedom is taken away in some misguided attempt to remove "fragmentation", then I'll likely ditch Linux entirely.
            and use what instead?

Comment

Working...
            X