Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Reliable Upgrades Hoped For With Fedora 23

Phoronix: More Reliable Upgrades Hoped For With Fedora 23

It looks like reworking the Fedup upgrade tool may still happen for Fedora 23. The upgrade to this upgrade tool would involve relying on DNF and systemd functionality to provide more reliable Fedora system upgrades...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i still dont think i'll use it to upgrade my system ( assuming i stay with Fedora ) there's no way im gonna install 23 an be forced by idiot anaconda devs to use a 7 to 10 character password.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
      i still dont think i'll use it to upgrade my system ( assuming i stay with Fedora ) there's no way im gonna install 23 an be forced by idiot anaconda devs to use a 7 to 10 character password.
      Uh? I use a 19 character password and I installed using anaconda...

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post

Uh? I use a 19 character password and I installed using anaconda...
        thats good but i refuse to use that many

Comment

guess i was lucky. 8 machines with fedup and everything worked like a charm. didn't even know about these problems, otherwise i definitely wouldn't run all 8 at the same time

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

thats good but i refuse to use that many
          you can change policy and password after install

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
            guess i was lucky. 8 machines with fedup and everything worked like a charm. didn't even know about these problems, otherwise i definitely wouldn't run all 8 at the same time
            I was able to upgrade from 19->20, 20->21 but 21->22 broke my install for me. Still have yet to reinstall and fix it, luckily I dual boot. Just a matter of how lucky you are I guess.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I'm the lucky bastard went smooth from 18 -> 19, 19 -> 20 and 21 -> 22 with fedup. Used dnf to upgrade from 20 -> 21.

Comparing to preupgrade, fedup is already a lot better.

But still it doesn't change the fact of using undocumented API of systemd.

Comment

wouldnt it be good to have some tool, or command that resets all the packages to a live-cd state, that rmoves all custom scripts and overwrites all of them anew, removing all packages that could have cause change to the system over time? so i wouldnt have to back up all my data to some external media to reinstall on a clean disk every time im not sure if its a bug in the packages, or the scripts get messy or stuff like that. I cannot scroll in a terminal anymore, neither in nautilus (using f24 - rawhide). The Problem occurred about 3-4 weeks ago. i thought id just wait. but nothing happens. but i didnt see any bug report concerning it so i hesitate on reporting it usually getting the answer: "your installation is broke. Install from scratch" (at least i got it in my ubuntu days from)
                So resetting and cleaning up all the packages and scripts (or upgrading) and making the system sane again would be nice. Or is there such a thing i dont know of yet? And given, that you dont see what actually is being installed when using software center in ubuntu or gnome software in fedora (which i therefore dont use) would help remove all the cruft that might have been installed over time without your knowledge, which will probably make bug reporting easier, for you will know that it is no dependency issue. i mean at least it would help clean up legacy packages that are not used anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
                  wouldnt it be good to have some tool, or command that resets all the packages to a live-cd state, that rmoves all custom scripts and overwrites all of them anew, removing all packages that could have cause change to the system over time? so i wouldnt have to back up all my data to some external media to reinstall on a clean disk every time im not sure if its a bug in the packages, or the scripts get messy or stuff like that. I cannot scroll in a terminal anymore, neither in nautilus (using f24 - rawhide). The Problem occurred about 3-4 weeks ago. i thought id just wait. but nothing happens. but i didnt see any bug report concerning it so i hesitate on reporting it usually getting the answer: "your installation is broke. Install from scratch" (at least i got it in my ubuntu days from)
                  So resetting and cleaning up all the packages and scripts (or upgrading) and making the system sane again would be nice. Or is there such a thing i dont know of yet? And given, that you dont see what actually is being installed when using software center in ubuntu or gnome software in fedora (which i therefore dont use) would help remove all the cruft that might have been installed over time without your knowledge, which will probably make bug reporting easier, for you will know that it is no dependency issue. i mean at least it would help clean up legacy packages that are not used anymore.
                  just have a separate /home partition and reinstall without formatting /home

Comment

I still haven't find a better tool than "yum dist-sync"...

Comment

Working...
                    X