Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Flashback 3.16/3.17 Lands In Debian/Ubuntu

Phoronix: GNOME Flashback 3.16/3.17 Lands In Debian/Ubuntu

The latest "GNOME Flashback" packages have landed within the Ubuntu Testing and Ubuntu 15.10 "Wily Werewolf" archives for those wishing to use this GNOME2-like session...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GNOME Flashback has been broken for the past few weeks. Well the one with Metacity works, but the one with Compiz doesn't work. So for the past weeks I have been running GNOME with the Classic mode extensions instead.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      GNOME Flashback has been broken for the past few weeks. Well the one with Metacity works, but the one with Compiz doesn't work. So for the past weeks I have been running GNOME with the Classic mode extensions instead.
      Might be due to upstream GNOME having only Classic mode. Worth noting that GNOME is so broken that I can't use any WM/compositor other than mutter, might be same case with Classic mode.

But really I wish they would bring old functionality of apps which they removed, instead of borking shell. New shell is probably the best thing about GNOME3, its the new generation of apps that sucks balls and ass.

Comment

Have to agree with magika, many don't like GNOME Shell, which is fine, but it's the dumbing down (APPisation?) of the applications that is the failing of GNOME3. A wonderful example is the randr GUI where the the protocol has been improved and extended over the years, while the GNOME app has had capabilities removed, (like refresh rate!?! WTF?) where there's not even an "advanced" mode to expose options unused by the maintainer and his laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
          GNOME app has had capabilities removed, (like refresh rate!?! WTF?) where there's not even an "advanced" mode to expose options unused by the maintainer and his laptop.
          Another one is there isn't a slider for mouse settings for both acceleration and pixel threshold. Kind of important for gaming, like on Steamos. Maybe once this works on tablets all this will make sense.

Comment

Working...
          X