Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFmpeg Is Returning To Debian

Phoronix: FFmpeg Is Returning To Debian

While Debian has preferred the Libav fork of FFmpeg, after reviewing the situation, the Debian Multimedia Maintainers team has decided to switch back to FFmpeg...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally! As one who is always very interested in doing AV work on Linux, I have to say the lack of ffmpeg has been a pain for doing anything not in the repos on debian/ubuntu systems.

Comment

What is the impact of this choice?

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post
        Finally! As one who is always very interested in doing AV work on Linux, I have to say the lack of ffmpeg has been a pain for doing anything not in the repos on debian/ubuntu systems.
        Ubuntu has had ffmpeg packages for some time now. They pulled it directly from Debian unstable.

What is the impact of this choice?
        Both libraries are similar, since libav is a fork of ffmpeg, but ffmpeg adds new features, bug and security fixes at a faster rate. So it mainly brings new features, allowing more software to be used on Debian that didn't work with libav, and possibly fixing a few bugs / adding new features with multimedia software (and maybe introducing a few bugs, too).

Another possible impact of this is that libav might die sooner or later. There are close to 0 users after Debian switches away from it.

Comment

I was confused when ffmpeg wasn't available in Ubuntu for a while and replaced with libav. This guy gave a talk why the split happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydqNot4csmE#t=24m46s
          Some developers weren't happy with how the project was managed.

Anyone know if there's been major technical improvements libav team has done to their code base since the split? I haven't really kept up with the details.

Comment

Originally posted by budric View Post
            Some developers weren't happy with how the project was managed.
            The ffmpeg main developer is/was apparently a little difficult for some project members to work with. Today, it appears to me as if ffmpeg is developed like most other open source projects, so if there was a problem, that is apparently solved now.

Anyone know if there's been major technical improvements libav team has done to their code base since the split? I haven't really kept up with the details.
            Not sure, but ffmpeg pulls in all the commits from libav on a regular basis. So if libav changes something, the same change happens in ffmpeg.

Comment

ffmpeg instead of libav makes it easier to support kodi, xbmc only worked with some patches. i had no problems to use avconv (the libav replacement for ffmpeg binary) but i think it is the right move. kodi does not even ship with an ffmpeg tree anymore, it is downloaded at compile time if you don't disable it. If you need to decide which to support it is a simple choice - supporting both doubles the work.

Comment

Read the Gentoo discussion on this when libAV was made the default (there are levels of default in gentoo and this was a hard default) and the fallout as to why it was bad... not just politics but in practice

Comment

Yay, finally. Gentoo switched back to it not too long ago too.
                  Now if only they also switched to libburnia...

Comment

So are there any distros still defaulting to libav?

Comment

Working...
                    X