Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MATE Desktop 1.10 Released, Offers Experimental GTK3 Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by oleid View Post

    I had issues with GTK+-3.16 apps, e.g. evince on MATE 1.8 (using Numix theme, in case that matters).
    I don't even have a Numix theme on MATE 1.10. Is that a standard MATE theme or what? But, given that MATE 1.8 was released quite some time ago and GTK+3 breaks some theming features every minor release, I suspect it's an issue with a theme when used with GTK+3.16.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by Krejzi View Post

      I don't even have a Numix theme on MATE 1.10. Is that a standard MATE theme or what? But, given that MATE 1.8 was released quite some time ago and GTK+3 breaks some theming features every minor release, I suspect it's an issue with a theme when used with GTK+3.16.
      Menta is standard MATE theme, which is gtk2 only, so gtk3 apps are using standard theme, which is Adwaita as of 3.16.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by magika View Post
        Menta is standard MATE theme, which is gtk2 only, so gtk3 apps are using standard theme, which is Adwaita as of 3.16.
        MATE 1.10 ships GTK+3 themes too. If you look at the downloads, you can see there are multiple mate-themes for a corresponding GTK+3 version: 3.8, 3.10, 3.12, 3.14 and 3.16. I use Menta and I don't see any issues with GTK+3 apps.

        Comment


        • #14
          This is the real release. Back in April, the mate-desktop package version 1.10 first appeared in http://pub.mate-desktop.org/releases/1.10/ . That is a desktop utility package, NOT a metapackage that pulls in the rest of the desktop. Possibly due to the significance of packages like "ubuntu-desktop" which are such metapackages, not just Phoronix but many, many websites thought that was the release of all of MATE 1.10, resulting in a premature release announcment that spread all over the Internet and even third party websites offering the "mate-desktop" package for download as though it was the entire desktop environment. Don't blame Michael for this one, the whole Linux press jumped too soon due to the package name.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by Krejzi View Post

            MATE 1.10 ships GTK+3 themes too. If you look at the downloads, you can see there are multiple mate-themes for a corresponding GTK+3 version: 3.8, 3.10, 3.12, 3.14 and 3.16. I use Menta and I don't see any issues with GTK+3 apps.
            That makes sense now that they ported stuff to gtk3. But I've just tried 1.10-gtk3 and its too buggy and crashy to be considered usable yet.

            Comment


            • #16
              What is the difference between MATE and Cinnamon if it no longer is GTK+3 vs GTK+2?

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by ncopa View Post
                What is the difference between MATE and Cinnamon if it no longer is GTK+3 vs GTK+2?
                Cinnamon is basically gnome-shell, nautilus, and mutter forked, sometimes buggier and slower than GNOME3, but feature rich and not crippled.
                MATE-gtk3 is gnome2 fork being rewritten with gtk3. That doesn't mean that metacity will suddenly turn into mutter and get hardware acceleration or panels-desktop-whatever will use retarded javascript. Its fast and still feature rich as old MATE, but currently gtk3 version is very buggy.

                Comment

                Working...
                X