Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blender 2.75 Allows For AMD OpenCL Support

Phoronix: Blender 2.75 Allows For AMD OpenCL Support

A test build of Blender 2.75 was released this past week and it will be of interest to a lot of open-source designers and artists...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are you talking about radeonsi or catalyshit?
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

The AMD OpenCL support is coming as the Cycles compute kernels have finally been split into smaller kernels, so they now compile and work for AMD GPUs.
      In other words, AMD has done nothing about it and the Blender/Cycles developers have worked around AMD's incompetence to fix this.

Comment

Well AMD made the patch. See here for more details.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post

In other words, AMD has done nothing about it and the Blender/Cycles developers have worked around AMD's incompetence to fix this.
          In other words, you are ignorant of the entire code changes. AMD dumped megabytes of changes and showed Blender's inherently horrible understanding of OpenCL. They've modified their entire stack across the board all because of AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post

I get that it's the cool thing to do to put down AMD, but you should educate yourself to avoid looking foolish.

In this case, it's pretty much the exact opposite of what you think.

AMD's developers did a bunch of work to fix up the Blender code to work better: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...dR-oiWbUY/edit
            Last edited by smitty3268; 27 May 2015, 02:14 PM.

Comment

I'd say thanks, AMD. Hopefully I can put this to good use once I find the time to get myself into Blender. Wasn't more than a few simple geometric objects yet but will hopefully be more in the future.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

I downloaded latest testbuild and made sample comparison (Core i5 [email protected] vs Radeon HD7850@1050MHz) for sample scene (MiniCooper from )http://nextwavemultimedia.com/html/3dblendermodel.html):
                Core i5 [email protected]: 217.75 secs
                Radeon HD 7850@1050MHz: 188 secs

PS: scene setup: 1280x800, sampling: final setup
                PS2: OpenCL rendering except kernel compilation.
                Last edited by matszpk; 28 May 2015, 06:07 AM.

Comment

This would make AMD's APUs much more attractive. A very cheap machine could be a decent Blender rig.

Comment

My testing is suggesting that the performance gains (with 2x 7970) are VERY little. They are comparable to CPU rendering... even on Windows...

Comment

Working...
                    X