X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by Melcar View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that KDE has a bigger user base, but that GNOME is more accepted by the big distros.
    Last year was the first year that gnome lead KDE according to the 2007 linux survey. No doubt that can easily change from year to year, with the release of KDE 4.1 it could change quite quickly.

Leave a comment:

• _txf_
    replied
    Qt has widespread acceptance as it is dual licensed. For proprietary apps you have to pay, but if you want to develop OS apps its free. It is the best of both worlds.

Add that to the fact that you can practically make an app that compiles and works (mostly) an all 3 major oses...Many kde apps compiled and worked out of the box on osx and windows and ultimately is something that could bring many more developers to linux.

Urgh didn't want to come across as a salesman, but ultimately it works out better than gtk (which suffers somewhat from lack of resources).

Leave a comment:

• Melcar
    replied
    I remember reading somewhere that KDE has a bigger user base, but that GNOME is more accepted by the big distros.

Leave a comment:

• Zhick
    replied
    Downloading and compiling right now. <3 Gentoo

I don't expect to experience any differences to 4.0.99 though since that one was already working realy well fore me.

@d2kx: Kopete has already been released for kde-4.0 . But you're right about the others. But their kde-3 versions work without a problem in kde 4, so that's not so much of a show-stopper.

Leave a comment:

• yoshi314
    replied
    I don't believe that while QT is GPL'd, it will ever gain widespread acceptance.
    but it has widespread acceptance...

Leave a comment:

• Vadi
    replied
    I'm not confusing anything, because proprietary/closed source can be commercial (and free) too. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• stan
    replied
    Originally posted by Vadi View Post
    Wow. I was gonna say nice going KDE, but as it still has it's share of die-hard fanatics claiming all other products are inferior and no DE should be used for commercial purposes...
    You are deliberately trying to confuse "commercial" with "proprietary/closed source". There are plenty of open source applications and operating systems that cost a ton of money, thus making them "commercial". In fact, the Free Software Foundation encourages FOSS developers to make money off their software: Selling Free Software
    Last edited by stan; 29 July 2008, 12:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TechMage89
    replied
    Selling closed-source software is not an unparalleled evil, as much as Stallman would like you to believe it is.

It is essential for any basic platform/api to be totally free to develop on (Windows and Mac OSX both are, I might add.) As much as I am impressed by KDE's accomplishments, and believe it has, in many ways, a superior design to Gnome, I don't believe that while QT is GPL'd, it will ever gain widespread acceptance. Therefore, in spite of it's technical inferiority, I think that Gnome will continue to dominate.

I think if Nokia were to LGPL QT (for example, in order to promote their phones, which is supposedly the reason they bought Trolltech in the first place), KDE would quickly become the favored DE.
    Last edited by TechMage89; 29 July 2008, 12:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• d2kx
    replied
    I can see at least Canonical supporting KDE more and more and more in the future, I'd even say there's a chance that KDE could get the default desktop by KDE 4.3 or so (@Michael: yeeeeeeees!).

Amarok, K3b, KOffice, Kaffeine, Kopete, Konversation are not finally released for KDE4 yet, but they should at the time KDE 4.2 arrives (maybe even at the time the October Distributions arrive?). And at THAT time, really no one should continue hurting himself with using that other brown thing, I am not going to say its name, so it's hard to find out what I'm talking about (or not)...

Leave a comment:

• Vadi
    replied
    Wow. I was gonna say nice going KDE, but as it still has it's share of die-hard fanatics claiming all other products are inferior and no DE should be used for commercial purposes...

Well, I certainly don't want to be part of that crowd.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X