KDE 4.1 Released, KDE 4.2 In January

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
    ... b) phonon telling me that a device failed and it's going to fallback to the same one, ...
    I hate that . How the hell do you turn it off? Every time I boot up my laptop sound goes haywire because of it. Sure, I can mute the thing (KDE4 has problems with the media keys on my laptop as well ), but I hate having to see that pop up every time... it ruins the experience you know.

Originally posted by grigi View Post
    KDE has too much options? I can't find enough!...

Well KDE4 definitely doesn't have enough yet. I looks like a KDE desktop (once I take Oxygen out, it looks to Gnomish ), and it feels like a KDE desktop, but it acts like some sort of XFCE/KDE bastard child; it's like I'm in KDE bizarro world or something. Oh, and the menu; damn, that thing is annoying (you can't change it either).

And still no ports of the best application ever (Amarok)!!!
    No suitable burning software either. Hate having to install older KDE3 libraries just to be able to use K3B.
    Last edited by Melcar; 30 July 2008, 10:19 AM.

Comment

In kde4 > System Settings > Sounds do you have more then 1 sound output device? I have found on my Intel laptops I need to make my default output the #1 device for all sound output and that message goes away. I have both analog and digital options.

Comment

Originally posted by killsudo View Post
        In kde4 > System Settings > Sounds do you have more then 1 sound output device? I have found on my Intel laptops I need to make my default output the #1 device for all sound output and that message goes away. I have both analog and digital options.

It lists two. They both have the same description, just that one works and the other doesn't. Even if I set the one that works as default, Phonon would keep giving me that popup warning at startup.
        I still have to thinker with KDE4 a bit more, it's just that the lack of customization options in some areas depressed me, so I resorted to heavy drinking that night .
        Last edited by Melcar; 30 July 2008, 10:38 AM.

Comment

That's why you don't tell them about deb/rpm/portage/Gnome/KDE.

Install whatever you like, and that's it. It's that simple.
          It's not that simple. Simple is googling for the software, going to its page, downloading it and running its automagic installer (Windows) or drag&drop the icon (OS X). That's how it should work. Firefox 3 comes out, you download it and install it. What's the deal with the repos and unstable? Firefox 3 final is stable, why does Linux think it's unstable?

Note that the above questions aren't mine. If Linux gets to the point where there's a uniform standard for all of this, then it's ready for the desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            It's not that simple. Simple is googling for the software, going to its page, downloading it and running its automagic installer (Windows) or drag&drop the icon (OS X). That's how it should work.
            http://www.packagekit.org/ <--- that is being addressed

As well there are other distro's out there that utilize 1-click installs through other means.

Firefox 3 comes out, you download it and install it. What's the deal with the repos and unstable? Firefox 3 final is stable, why does Linux think it's unstable?
            Stable in that term refers more to the official package selection for a particular version of distro release. It doesn't necessarily refer to the individual package. openSUSE 11 for example has FF3 marked as stable.
            Last edited by deanjo; 30 July 2008, 02:46 PM.

Comment

That's my point exactly. "openSUSE does this, Ubuntu does that". When you go various websites software projects, you get things like "click here for Windows, click here for Debian, there for Ubuntu, click over there for openSUSE".

We need a "click here for Linux". Download, install, run. Not repositories. I can hardly imagine this is ever gonna happen. Not that it's important for me, mind you. But "ready for the desktop" means "ready for the masses."

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                That's my point exactly. "openSUSE does this, Ubuntu does that". When you go various websites software projects, you get things like "click here for Windows, click here for Debian, there for Ubuntu, click over there for openSUSE".

We need a "click here for Linux". Download, install, run. Not repositories. I can hardly imagine this is ever gonna happen. Not that it's important for me, mind you. But "ready for the desktop" means "ready for the masses."

That is exactly what PackageKit addresses. Repositories are no different then having to hunt and download off the net for windows.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  That is exactly what PackageKit addresses. Repositories are no different then having to hunt and download off the net for windows.
                  what packagekit HOPES to address. It is a worthwhilde idea, whether in practice it works is another question as distro repos do have variation in version and package selection.

Something good to complement packagekit would be something like klik but I haven't heard much from the project recently

Comment

Firefox 3 comes out, you do your updates, and you're fine. Or you install it from Add/Remove.

You don't need to hunt down the website, select your language, download, and install.

It's all about the presentation. If you present umpteen options, obviously, they'll be confused. If you present one option, it'll be all good.

Comment

Firefox 3 comes out, you do your updates, and you're fine. Or you install it from Add/Remove.

You don't need to hunt down the website, select your language, download, and install
                      Nope. You can't install unless it is put into your distro's repository. On Windows you get it immediately. On Linux you feel like a second-class citizen and you have to wait. Same goes for all other software.

Comment

Working...
                      X