Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 5.0 Beta 1 Released

Phoronix: LibreOffice 5.0 Beta 1 Released

Following yesterday's LibreOffice 5.0 branching in Git, the first beta for LibreOffice 5.0 is now available for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does someone remember OpenOffice? I haven't heard that name in a while, while this one continues constantly progressing

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
      Does someone remember OpenOffice? I haven't heard that name in a while, while this one continues constantly progressing
      OpenOffice was forked into LibreOffice.

A lot of the linux distros (and others) didn't like the way Sun was controlling OpenOffice development, and banded together to fork it.

OpenOffice does still exist - after the fork, Sun spun it off to the Apache foundation under a different license.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post

A little ridiculous that we have 2 forks, am waiting for them to merge already or 1 be dropped so more devs can focus on the remaining one.

seeing how last - not so big- release of OOo was like 10 months ago...

And they seem to be asking for help:
        The official developer website of the Apache OpenOffice open source project, home of OpenOffice Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw and Base.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

OpenOffice was forked into LibreOffice.

A lot of the linux distros (and others) didn't like the way Sun was controlling OpenOffice development, and banded together to fork it.

OpenOffice does still exist - after the fork, Sun spun it off to the Apache foundation under a different license.
          Almost. OpenOffice was kind of slow under Sun, but distros still used it (generally applying the GO-Office patchset on top as Sun was slow to accept patches). When Sun was sold to Oracle, Oracle stopped taking any community input/patches and generally was Oracle being Oracle, so the community forked it to LibreOffce, and then officially merged in the GO-Office patches (might have the name wrong a bit), and continued from there. Oracle finally realized that there was no money in OpenOffice and thus spun it off to Apache. The Apache project is fairly dead compared to LibreOffice, as far as I can tell, but, it did get an infusion from IBM as they released their modified Lotus Symphony stuff to OpenOffice (which LibreOffice I believe then merged in).

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post

Almost. OpenOffice was kind of slow under Sun, but distros still used it (generally applying the GO-Office patchset on top as Sun was slow to accept patches). When Sun was sold to Oracle, Oracle stopped taking any community input/patches and generally was Oracle being Oracle, so the community forked it to LibreOffce, and then officially merged in the GO-Office patches (might have the name wrong a bit), and continued from there. Oracle finally realized that there was no money in OpenOffice and thus spun it off to Apache. The Apache project is fairly dead compared to LibreOffice, as far as I can tell, but, it did get an infusion from IBM as they released their modified Lotus Symphony stuff to OpenOffice (which LibreOffice I believe then merged in).
            Yeah, IBM can invest all they want into OpenOffice because the license allows LibreOffice to just incorporate the IBM changes into their codebase as well. Unfortunately for OpenOffice the licensing situation DOESN'T allow them to take LibreOffice's changes and incorporate those into THEIR codebase. Thus giving LibreOffice an automatic advantage.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Open Office was basically dead while Oracle controlled the codebase. So LibreOffice was forked and all the developers left to work on it.

Currently there are many more developers working on LibreOffice. Not only that, any improvements made by the few OpenOffice developers can be merged into LibreOffice as well.

Comment

OpenOffice is basically dead. Literally less than 20 people working on it and 10x the amount on LibreOffice.

Comment

The changelog is very short and mostly consists of UI changes. Why is the version bumped to 5.0? Any new former Mozilla programmers in the crew?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    The changelog is very short and mostly consists of UI changes. Why is the version bumped to 5.0? Any new former Mozilla programmers in the crew?
                    The "traditional" versioning doesn't really fit in a fixed release schedule project (like LibreOffice, Firefox, Linux kernel) where a major version bump will never be justified for some people. This is why many other projects have adopted another versioning by now. LO might do the same - this will be decided in 5.1 release cycle.

Comment

Working...
                    X