Chat client?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rob,

Ever find your perfect chat client? Just noticed GAIM 2.0 Beta 3.1 came out last month, though that's largely a bug-fix release.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Yeah, the last two beta releases have been great actually. The problems I complained about earlier were fixed for the most part. It's hard to describe the issues really, without taking up an entire page but they were incredibly annoying.

All is good now though. I like where the beta is going. If only they can improve the file transfer with people on other clients we'd be set.

Comment

On my Windows box, I just about had it with Gaim. The GTK incompatibilities were giving me too much of a headache when Gaim and Gimp were on the same machine.

Gimp is much more important for me there, so I dumped Gaim for Trillian.

I wonder if Trillian has a Linux client...

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
          On my Windows box, I just about had it with Gaim. The GTK incompatibilities were giving me too much of a headache when Gaim and Gimp were on the same machine.

Gimp is much more important for me there, so I dumped Gaim for Trillian.

I wonder if Trillian has a Linux client...

Nope, no Trillian Linux client. Though I am not sure how well it runs under WINE.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

Kopete looks like Trillian, so maybe it's similar? :P

Comment

I don't know... never did like Kopete. Trillian has a complete set of features for the pro version...

Under wine? Right now, I don't want to mess with that.

Comment

I just gave Trillian a test under Wine... I would not recommend it. Though it installed fine, the actual program when loaded would not stop flickering. Maybe an older version would run better, I don't know.

Comment

As I expected... problematic. Thanks for trying.

Comment

GAIM 2.0.0 Beta 4 was released with a few new features.

From Phoronix News:

October 18, 2006 -- The fourth Beta release in the GAIM 2.0 cycle has been released. The two major improvements in GAIM 2.0.0 Beta 4 is the default ability when closing the buddy list to minimize to the system tray (previously it required the use of an applet) and communication abilities with NetworkManager. GAIM now has the ability to communicate with NetworkManager to check the network status prior to logging-in. The release announcement can be found here, while Planet GAIM has more details on this release.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

i use psi under X and mcabber in console. jabber provides transports to many existing im networks (even irc) , so i don't need anything else.

Comment

Working...
                      X