No announcement yet.

Which distro do you run on your laptop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I run Ubuntu 6.06LTS on my Averatec 3225HS. You have to set a couple of kernel arguments to get all the functionality (specifically, you have to set the framebuffer resolution and disable ACPI), but other than that it runs like a charm. It's one of my best Linux experiences to date, mostly from the sheer comfort and "just works"ness of it.

Comment

Running Ubuntu (Breezy I think) in a dual boot on both a Compaq X1000 and Toshiba Satellite A10, but rarely using the Ubuntu side. Difficulty in getting Firefox upgraded a year ago pretty much killed it. Automatix didn't help.

Comment

HP nc6000.

I multi-boot; the main distro being Debian testing. THe other partitions are OpenSUSE 10.x, SLES10, RHEL4 & 5, Oracle (un)breakable, and SLES9.

Since I work for a large company that does quite a lot of Linux support I need to have a variety available. I have zero gaming or multimedia requirements other than Beryl (and it works really well on this platform).

As for the actual laptop - aside from 2 nagging issues (the miniSD slot and wireless) the laptop is great. It has an absolutely GREAT keyboard.

The SD slot doesn't work under WinXP most of the time, so no LInux support is no big deal to me. The Wireless works, but the blue LED isn't a "real" indicator of anything other than if the kernel module is loaded - it doesn't turn off if you hit the wireless button on the laptop.

Comment

Debian Etch on a Thinkpad X41 Tablet.

Comment

Kubuntu 7.04 on Toshiba Portege M200 (Pentium M, ipw2200, GF5200Go). Works perfectly. If I have USB devices connected (or the notebook docked), I need to edit module unloading of usb related things for suspend to work, though.

Comment

I have a Dell M50 that I currently run Klikit Linux on and a Gateway 600yg2 that is still using Xandros 4 but I am going to switch once Klikit gets a bit more mature.

Comment

Gentoo Lin on a Compaq Presario V5000 (V5303NR)...MiniPCI WiFi is a Broadcom (strike 1...though being removable I suppose I could always get something else); ndiswrapper w/Windows driver works fantastically...though now the native Linux driver is becoming pretty usable. Integrated ATI XPress 200M video (strike 2)...swap between fglrx and the foss stuff, though find the latter to be usable for a lot of stuff (xv works better), just no GL games (except Descent 3...perfectly playable at 640x480).
                My first and only notebook so despite those few things I love the thing.

Comment

On my Compaq Presario 2170US with Netgear WG511v2 card (Marvell chipset), I run Fedora 7. I have run Fedora on this laptop since Fedora Core 5, and I plan to continue to do so. With the exception of wifi, since I have to do a little work to integrate ndiswrapper into NetworkManager, the laptop works out-of-the-box except for TV-out, but that is a given due to the Macrovision stuff... This laptop has the ATI Radeon 9000 Mobility IGP, so I can use the FOSS driver for it, and use AIGLX. Media keys have been messed up over the years, so I have no idea whether its a software or a hardware problem that the keys don't work... Oh well, I use the Function keys instead, far more convenient. Fedora rules!

Comment

Running Mandriva Linux Spring 2007 with Vista in dual boot. Hardware is HP Pavilon dv9000z with AMD 64bit dual core, 2Gb RAM, 120Gb harddrive, DVD R/W, webcam, media reader. Mandriva is using 2.6.17 kernel which is just a bit old. Needed ndiswrapper to get wireless working. Webcam does not work under 2.6.17 because newer uvcvideo needs 2.6.21 to compile. This is not a complaint against Mandriva or Linux in general. Just stating the gotchas. Otherwise,, I love this laptop.
                    Last edited by FillG; 21 August 2007, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X