No announcement yet.

Which distro do you run on your laptop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper on a Opteron system.

PCLinuxOS on a Socket A.

Comment

Well...

...I don't have a notebook (yet), but when I do get one, I'll probably install Arch Linux on it. Right now I'm using Xubuntu on my desktop PC (Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM).

Comment

Hello everyone,

I am a new Linux user, and trying to run Fedora6 on my Dell E1505, but encountered lots of problems. Thanks to the discussions on many Linux forums, especially Michael's replies here, I partially solved some problems. But my wireless adapter and ATI video card still have not been configured to work properly. Trying...

Comment

What wireless adapter and video card are you using?
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            What wireless adapter and video card are you using?
            ----

Hi Michael,

My wireless adapter is Intel 3945ABG, with my Duo CPU.
            Video card is ATI Mobility X1400.

I tried some methods that solved others' problem. But obviously, there are still something wrong on my laptop.

I will post the detail on related thread(s). It would be nice if you could give me some hints.

Thank you!

Comment

What problems are you having with the X1400? Create a new thread if you need help. For the Intel 3945ABG try the FreshRPMs repo or get the drivers from the SF page.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                What problems are you having with the X1400? Create a new thread if you need help. For the Intel 3945ABG try the FreshRPMs repo or get the drivers from the SF page.
                I just posted the details in the thread here,

Thanks.

Comment

I run Gentoo 2006.1 x86 on my 4-year-old P4-M laptop. It originally came with Windows XP, but SP2 rendered my laptop unusable due to drivers BSODing the system every hour or so. I put SuSE 9.1 on there and stuck with SuSE until 10.1 came out and had the whole crudded-up package manager. I had tried Ubuntu briefly, but it didn't have hibernate support and the then-recent version's kernel had no swsusp2 patch. So I went and put Gentoo 2006.0 on both machines as Gentoo's supposedly the one that you can get anything to work on. The guys on my local LUG were right and I've been happily running Gentoo since then.

It seems a common thing for people here to run Gentoo on their laptops. Did you do it for speed, geek factor, or because you can tweak it? I did it for the tweaks I can ensure everything works like a charm. My CFLAGS are pretty weak (added -msse and -msse2; -msse3 on the desktop is about it) but my systems are rock solid.

Comment

Originally posted by MU_Engineer View Post
                    It seems a common thing for people here to run Gentoo on their laptops.
                    That surprises me given the time it takes to compile. My laptop is just a little over two years old and recompiling takes quite a while :-D

Personally I chose Gentoo for the simple fact that's the only distro I really use. No other distro has grabbed my attention like it has. Love the customization and tweaking factor that comes with it.

Comment

My laptop is twice as old as yours. If it didn't have any help from the desktop via distcc, it would honestly take 3-4 days to compile the base system, X, and KDE. With the desktop helping out, it takes roughly 1.5-2 days, dependent on how much stuff can use distcc.

Comment

Working...
                      X