Cedega 6.1 Beta Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
    the only thing where cedega is better is copy protection support. but this has nothing to do with wine but windows's bul%s$it stuff.
    but just to clear things, there is no problem with this article!
    Hi,

thats far away from being correct. I use wine and cedega. And from my experience i have to say:

Installation: Wine is much superior to cedega

Graphics: Games in cedega look much better than in wine. I played CNC3 with wine and cedega and i have to say it looks MUCH better in cedega. I can push every settings to max in cedega without probs. Same settings give me tones of graphical glitches in wine. So the dx implementation of cedega is much more "correct" in my eyes. Or try to play NFS Prostreet Demo with wine and compare to cedega. Then you will know what i mean.

Sound: Sound works great for me in cedega and still slightly better than in wine.But wine improved much with the latest releases.

CopyProtection: correct that this is not wine's fault, but cedega is superior here

So both , wine and cedega, are far away from being perfect. But from my
    point of view, if a game is supported in cedega in outperforms wine in 99% of all cases.

Regards,
    Christian

Comment

Does it have a user of ATI video card who can said if we have good performance on videos games who run on cedega or Wine when we use Catalyst 8.5?

I have try with 8.3 and 8.4 but de performance was VERY BAD! It was impossible to play. The menue of the games was slow en tabarwouette and the games freez every 10 seconds. But, de graphics was ok.

I have test with codeweaver (wine) and and Cedega and it was the same thing.

Comment

when i think 'cedega' , 'ripoff' comes to mind right after. i dislike them for the way they did a hit-and-run on wine's codebase. they forked it into a commercial product with little intention of giving back to the project.

this was when wine was under a different licence, but they probably still rebase against wine's codebase, exploiting the current x11 licence, and their cvs is more like a joke, than real code they put into the project.

still, cedega is doing a pretty decent job promoting linux in the field it has most problems with - games.
        Last edited by yoshi314; 03 June 2008, 05:11 PM.

Comment

One of the problems that both wine and cedega have is that they both break as many working apps as they do fixing previous broken apps with each release.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
            when i think 'cedega' , 'ripoff' comes to mind right after. i dislike them for the way they did a hit-and-run on wine's codebase. they forked it into a commercial product with little intention of giving back to the project.

this was when wine was under a different licence, but they probably still rebase against wine's codebase, exploiting the current x11 licence, and their cvs is more like a joke, than real code they put into the project.

still, cedega is doing a pretty decent job promoting linux in the field it has most problems with - games.
            If I had the money to hire a lawyer, I'd love to litigate Transgaming into the dirt, and hard. I signed up way back even before there was a shipping product, and paid to drink the kool-aid for a VERY long time. Why? Because all through their startup, Transgaming stated that once they reached 100,000 subscribers, they'd dump absolutely everything they'd done back into the mainline Wine CVS and start a second wave of improvments. Once 100K neared, they dumped nothing but a flaming sack of FU onto the CVS. They renamed it from 'WineX' to 'Cedega' and scrubbed every mention of the goal and the promise to contribute upstream. On that day I cancelled my subscription, and I hope they all rot.

Gavriel State: You are a liar and a cheat. I wish you nothing but the worst.

Comment

second thing i dislike about cedega is that if there is an old game you like, it's more than likely that new version of cedega will break it, instead of maintaining support for it.

cedega developers only pay attention to the games that are most requested by the subscribers, and don't really care about less popular games, even though they might expose bugs in their code. things that worked with cedega 4.x might not work with 5.x/6.x.

wine on the other hand tries to make progress on all fronts, to mirror windows behavior as much as possible, across apps designed for different versions of the system.

wine devs/users do regression tests, there is much care put into making sure older programs some people use also work.

it sucks that transgaming still can legally import wine's code into their product (because x11 aka mit licence allows for lgpl, and wine is quite modular). one thing that really made me laugh was this comment from wine newsletter :

I have been pondering the thoughts of running every benchmark that I have on Wine, Cedega, XP, and CX to see where we stack up in the performance game.

And while doing my daily reading of news sites I came across this posted on /.
              Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Those guys ran 5 game tests and Wine's performance is clearly superior to that of Cedega on benchmarks where Wine was run. They give no details of the Wine configuration, so I can only presume it's a default setup. And since they're *trying* to paint the best picture possible for Cedega, they don't point out that Wine is superior!

"It is also important to note that there were minimal performance differences between WINE 0.9.32 and Cedega 6.0. Granted there are only five benchmarks in this Cedega 6.0 performance preview, but the level of performance for Cedega does look extremely promising and we will continue to look at Cedega 6.0 and report back in future articles."

Should read : Cedega's performance is currently lagging that of Wine 0.9.32 and with each Wine release Wine's performance and feature set is continuously improving!

I'm open for thoughts and suggestions....
              which actually made me think about how much thruth is there in phoronix reviews. maybe they are all sponsored publications, where stating the uncomfortable truth (for the proprietary product vendor) is uneasy?
              Last edited by yoshi314; 04 June 2008, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X