Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cedega 6.1 Beta Released

Phoronix: Cedega 6.1 Beta Released

Back in February we shared that Cedega 6.1 was soon to be in beta and yesterday it finally arrived. The first beta release of Transgaming's Cedega 7.1 (codenamed "Tovik") is now available. Cedega 6.1 ships with support for Shader Model 3.0, new game capabilities, stability improvements, performance enhancements, and more.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The first beta release of Transgaming's Cedega 7.1 [...]
    Small mistake.

Comment

As competition to Cedega, earlier this year CodeWeavers announced CrossOver Games.
      I don't think CodeWeavers or WineHQ see themselves as competing with anyone but themselves. The bar they set is unique to Wine because Cedega can't compete in the free open source world.

Development on Cedega also seems rather stagnate and slow. They really only seem to have a few niche applications that require copy protection support that Wine doesn't have. Wine uses typically crack them anyway and move on. I really don't see what Cedega brings to the table.

If I pay CodeWeavers, I know there's progress because I can watch the patches being committed to Wine. http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/?a=shortlog. If I pay Cedega, well... the change log I get to see is that found on my bank statement.

Comment

"If I pay CodeWeavers, I know there's progress because I can watch the patches being committed to Wine. http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/?a=shortlog. If I pay Cedega, well... the change log I get to see is that found on my bank statement."

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
          I don't think CodeWeavers or WineHQ see themselves as competing with anyone but themselves. The bar they set is unique to Wine because Cedega can't compete in the free open source world.

Development on Cedega also seems rather stagnate and slow. They really only seem to have a few niche applications that require copy protection support that Wine doesn't have. Wine uses typically crack them anyway and move on. I really don't see what Cedega brings to the table.

If I pay CodeWeavers, I know there's progress because I can watch the patches being committed to Wine. http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/?a=shortlog. If I pay Cedega, well... the change log I get to see is that found on my bank statement.
          If sign up to be a private beta tester you would find out that there are a lot of changes that are happening each month (There are a lot more than you are claiming there to be). Also only a few niche titles? Come on, Cedega runs many games faster than under wine and the list of working games is huge. I suggest checking out the #cedega irq channel for more information.
          Last edited by KohlyKohl; 02 June 2008, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KohlyKohl View Post
            If sign up to be a private beta tester you would find out that there are a lot of changes that are happening each month (There are a lot more than you are claiming there to be). Also only a few niche titles? Come on, Cedega runs many games faster than under wine and the list of working games is huge. I suggest checking out the #cedega irq channel for more information.
            Thats the best joke I've heard all year.

Comment

If you are a private beta tester you will see all weekly changes (There are a lot more than you are claiming there to be).
              How many private commits/week are there? Aren't we breaking the first rule about Cedega Club?

Also only a few niche titles? Come on, Cedega runs many games faster than under wine and the list of working games is huge. I suggest checking out the #cedega irq channel for more information.
              I've yet to see a good benchmark which compares the two. I'm sure however if I go to the irQ channel I'll get an honest non-biased answer from the Cedega folks.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=681&num=3 almost hits it, but its not the head to head bench I'm interested in:
              "It is also important to note that there were minimal performance differences between WINE 0.9.32 and Cedega 6.0."
              I don't think you are going to convince me very easily that Cedega outperforms Wine.

I'd suggest you check out the #winehq IRC channel for more information. You certainly won't get much of a run around trying to get information about Wine. No private clubs or betas either.

Comment

Oh, and Wine does more than just games.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                  Oh, and Wine does more than just games.
                  I am not sure what that has to do with anything. Seems to me like you are strongly against Cedega, which is fine.
                  Last edited by KohlyKohl; 02 June 2008, 09:49 PM.

Comment

even though cedega has better support for a few specific games, the truth is that wine simply has a very bigger compatibility with games. Wine has reached the point that most of games simply work including new ones, this isn't the same for cedega. cedega gets stuck to specific games and this sucks because not everyone play oblivion and battlefield. there are thousands of games and WINE is the only thing that makes "everything" work. in any case, the future isn't cedega but wine. wine is allready ahaed and any lacks of cedega will be implemented in future, while cedega is far from having wine support unless it uses wine's code.
                    the only thing where cedega is better is copy protection support. but this has nothing to do with wine but windows's bul%s$it stuff.
                    but just to clear things, there is no problem with this article!
                    Last edited by bulletxt; 02 June 2008, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X