No announcement yet.

Adobe Flash Player 10 For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if it's Opera or Qt or both, but 2D performance is MUCH better with it than with Firefox. As a test I move the pointer quickly up and down over Tom's Hardware main list of latest articles. With Firefox 3.0rc1 and the latest x86_64 nvidia beta drivers, there's a very noticeable lag, and CPU usage is high. With Opera, there's no lag and very little CPU usage.

I'm not too keen on spending the time required to configure Opera to my liking, but if the next nvidia driver release doesn't improve Firefox' 2D performance, I *might* switch to Opera.

Comment

How about trying FF 2.0?

Comment

Meh, I'm not going back to *that*. :-p

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
          The iPhone doesn't sell as well over here as it does in the US because of the lack of 3G and you forgot to take into consideration that not many people will be using a phone to watch TV shows it's just not convenient and costs a lot (bandwidth for a phone is expensive...) unless your using a wifi connection at which point you might as well use a PC.
          It sells well enough that O2 is sold out. I really doubt that linux has had 300,000 switchers in the same period. Plus with the refresh of the iPhone coming soon there will be another surge in sales.

Comment

Originally posted by apaige View Post
            I don't know if it's Opera or Qt or both, but 2D performance is MUCH better with it than with Firefox. As a test I move the pointer quickly up and down over Tom's Hardware main list of latest articles. With Firefox 3.0rc1 and the latest x86_64 nvidia beta drivers, there's a very noticeable lag, and CPU usage is high. With Opera, there's no lag and very little CPU usage.

I'm not too keen on spending the time required to configure Opera to my liking, but if the next nvidia driver release doesn't improve Firefox' 2D performance, I *might* switch to Opera.

Opera has traditionally always killed FF in performance.

Comment

Originally posted by apaige View Post
              Meh, I'm not going back to *that*. :-p
              If you use software that is a RC you have to expect that it wont run was fast as stable software as it usually hasn't been optimised yet.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                It sells well enough that O2 is sold out. I really doubt that linux has had 300,000 switchers in the same period. Plus with the refresh of the iPhone coming soon there will be another surge in sales.
                True linux wouldn't have had 300k people switch in the same period but the number of people that would want to use the iplayer on linux probably still out weights the number that want to use it on the iphone. Anyway they should have just made it crossplatform from the start. They haven't even released a mac client to my knowledge and you can't tell me there are more iphone users then mac users.

Comment

They haven't even released a mac client to my knowledge and you can't tell me there are more iphone users then mac users.
                  lol, not yet, but soon. The iPhone's adoption rate is dwarfing the adoption rate of the iPod during the same time period after the products release. You have to also remember that the iPhone client works on the iPod Touch as well.

Comment

If you use software that is a RC you have to expect that it wont run was fast as stable software as it usually hasn't been optimised yet.
                    Ahem, it's a Release Candidate, it's as "stable" as it's going to get. The developers themselves say RC1 will be the definitive version unless a major bug is found.

To their credit, rc1 fixes some 2D performance issues that were still there with beta 5 (hovering hypertext links on wikipedia for instance was very slow). And btw, the opera build I just tried is a beta, not even RC material.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      lol, not yet, but soon. The iPhone's adoption rate is dwarfing the adoption rate of the iPod during the same time period after the products release. You have to also remember that the iPhone client works on the iPod Touch as well.
                      I didn't remember the client worked on the touch but as far as how well you think the iphone is selling in the UK you are sorely mistake, they are currently sold out because O2 isn't receiving more (leading to the speculation about a 3G version) and googling "iphone sales UK" or the like will give you tons of sites talking about it not selling well. The UK market wants phones with 3G if you pay that sort of money not a phone using an old slower standard.

Comment

Working...
                      X