Adobe Flash Player 10 For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xanikseo View Post
    I do however notice that things are slower with compiz, like the old flash player 9 speed.
    I can confirm this, using a 8800GT and Compiz there is no chance to watch flash movies fullscreen in a decent way.

That being said would be enough to call this new player rubbish again, but it is even worse. It still crashes Firefox quite often, which I believe is related to PulseAudio introduced to Ubuntu with Hardy Heron:
    firefox crashes on flash contents when using libflashsupport

Comment

Originally posted by puntarenas View Post
      I can confirm this, using a 8800GT and Compiz there is no chance to watch flash movies fullscreen in a decent way.

That being said would be enough to call this new player rubbish again, but it is even worse. It still crashes Firefox quite often, which I believe is related to PulseAudio introduced to Ubuntu with Hardy Heron:

First thing I did after installing Hardy Heron was to kill off PulseAudio. Using Flash 10 + FF3 with pure ALSA is also very crash-prone, unfortunately. But it's a beta, after all ..

Comment

It crashes very easyly when you try to watch videos fullscreen. Therefore I use now 9 again.

Comment

hmm... nspluginwrapper says:
          m-q plugins # nspluginwrapper -i /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins.old/libflashplayer.so
          *** NSPlugin Viewer *** ERROR: /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins.old/libflashplayer.so: cannot make segment writable for relocation: Permission denied
          nspluginwrapper: no appropriate viewer found for /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins.old/libflashplayer.so
          I'm doing this as root, and it works for flash 9 (same file permissions, same location). Anybody see anything different? I shouldn't expect it to work any better in 64-bit than it does in 32-bit anyway, given all the crash reports.

Comment

Originally posted by puntarenas View Post

It's got little to do with PulseAudio. I had several Gutsy boxes without it and I'd get crashes and hangs all the time with Flashplayer 9.

Comment

Bugs and Feature Requests

If you are having problems with Flash Player on Linux or have feature requests please go submit those:

Also, in case you are wondering about the lack of 64bit support, you can help make it happen! Check out my blog for details:
              I run 32-bit Linux but there is a very vocal group of people who really want 64-bit Linux support for Flash Player. Today there is a decent work around for running the 32-bit Flash Player on a 64-bit Linux system using the nspluginwrapper. From what I’ve heard it works fairly well on most distro’s but I haven’t heard yet how well it works with the new Flash Player 10 beta. Despite this potential work around eventually Adobe does need to natively support 64-bit Linux - and they will.

-James

Comment

Originally posted by jlward4th View Post
                If you are having problems with Flash Player on Linux or have feature requests please go submit those:

Also, in case you are wondering about the lack of 64bit support, you can help make it happen! Check out my blog for details:
                I run 32-bit Linux but there is a very vocal group of people who really want 64-bit Linux support for Flash Player. Today there is a decent work around for running the 32-bit Flash Player on a 64-bit Linux system using the nspluginwrapper. From what I’ve heard it works fairly well on most distro’s but I haven’t heard yet how well it works with the new Flash Player 10 beta. Despite this potential work around eventually Adobe does need to natively support 64-bit Linux - and they will.

-James

Same Adobe crap, honestly, Adobe is probably the most pathetic company for fixing bugs. Only Adobe can put out a plug-in that can't even render their bloody website correctly.

Still no 64-bit support despite it being out for 7 years. They use obsolete frameworks and then point fingers at Apple. They bring out a non-native x86 OS X version of CS2 despite having YEARS of advanced notice of Apple intent and never bring out a native binary for CS2 on the OSX86. Instead they screw people over by making them purchase a CS3 upgrade just so they can run it natively AND STILL BUILD IT ON A DEPRECIATED FRAMEWORK!

I really truly hope silverlight becomes the new web standard. At least it's open and truly crossplatform and already supports 64-bit.

Comment

Originally posted by MU_Engineer View Post
                  I highly doubt it. A beta program is supposed to be feature-complete and just looking for bugs, so I wouldn't know why they wouldn't want to put a 64-bit Linux version out there for testing if they had one.

Looks like we're all going to have to keep using nspluginwrapper. Well, at least it's better than having to use a browser chroot like you do for the JRE plugin.
                  or maybe we are should not be using totally crappy crap closed plugins which are the worst slower piece of garbage ever created, and does not run into these issues?

I know i dont.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    I really truly hope silverlight becomes the new web standard. At least it's open and truly crossplatform and already supports 64-bit.
                    Screw that... We just need people to work at providing the standards compliant support (funny...there IS a standard out there for this stuff, and it's NOT Flash or Silverlight...) for things like SVG, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      Screw that... We just need people to work at providing the standards compliant support (funny...there IS a standard out there for this stuff, and it's NOT Flash or Silverlight...) for things like SVG, etc.
                      Until there is good professional supporting developer tools for those it's all a pipe dream (at least until the popular browsers are 100% compliant with those standards)

Comment

Working...
                      X