Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Early Look At KDE 4.1

Phoronix: An Early Look At KDE 4.1

The first alpha release of KDE 4.1 isn't planned until the end of April, but this past weekend the OpenSuSE team had updated their KDE Four Live spin against the latest KDE 4.0.66 snapshot packages. The KDE 4.0.66 development packages contain new Kickoff and Plasma features along with much other work to the numerous packages that will ultimately make up this first major update to KDE 4.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

can't wait to see KDE 4 officially included in distributions like openSuse - really, openSuse 11.0 w/ KDE 4 and improvements like better package management and pulseaudio will be a blast.

Comment

Yep

It also looks much better when running under Kubuntu because of Ubuntu's LCD sub pixel patches.

Comment

when many applications get ported to KDE4 and Amarok 2 is completed, I am sure it will be a gr8 desktop experience

Comment

Oh yes, it will

Hopefully a Kickstart replacement like Raptor or Lancelot, Kaffeine (Dragon Player is not as good imho), KOffice2 (with KWord and Krita, which are candidates not to be in the 2.0 release) will be finished for the KDE 4.1 release, too.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            Yep

It also looks much better when running under Kubuntu because of Ubuntu's LCD sub pixel patches.
            Available in openSUSE as well.

Comment

Preferences

Have they expanded the user preferences and interface options? I was exceedingly disappointed by them in KDE 4.0. If developers are worried about confusing people with too many options, just make an option that alters what level of configuration you get.

As someone who has been using Enlightenment since 14.2 but grows tired of waiting on e17 fixes, it almost causes mental breakdown when I can't set my preferences to something so intelligent or have to switch to something noticeably slower. With a 3.4 GHz Core 2 Quad, I should not ever notice any interface as slow, except for possibly waiting on useful animations.

Comment

Working...
              X