Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Issues People Face With Fedora Workstation

Phoronix: The Issues People Face With Fedora Workstation

While I found Fedora 21 to be the best release yet from Fedora (Core) and Fedora 22 is looking to be even better, there's still blemishes as with any Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

nvidia shit can burn in hell.
    upgrades are trivial unless you're too stupid to read the instructions (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgra...dora_using_yum).
    resolution and monitor issues are due to gnome shell, which normal people don't install anyway, so that isn't an issue.
    selinux has become very painless on fedora... finally.
    android integration? WTF is that? There is an android-tools package that provides adb and fastboot, not sure what else people want... for them to package the android sdk maybe?
    built-in backup solution? How about the backup thing that annoys me every time I do a Fedora install?

Comment

What is up with rpmfusion, by the way? Still no non-free for Fedora 22.

I dislike how disconnected rpmfusion is from Fedora releases altogether. It's a much better experience with Ubuntu: click some checkboxes while the installer runs and presto, support for media codecs, Flash, etc. is automatically installed. And you don't need to wait for rpmfusion to "catch up" with Fedora development...

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        resolution and monitor issues are due to gnome shell, which normal people don't install anyway, so that isn't an issue.
        You might have a strange idea of what "normal people" are.

Comment

What drove me away from Fedora was Anaconda, which is getting worse and worse, also buggier and buggier as time passes.

Comment

RPMFusion... All the problems you face are caused by the lack of proper RPMFusion support... Really, I've been using Fedora for past few years and IMHO the RPMFusion situation is getting worse and worse... I actually wanted to give F22 a go since it's going to be realeased in a few days and I had to uninstall it.

(BTW I quite like the Anaconda installer. Never really had any issues with it. Also Gnome Shell is quite polished these days and I really like it. Except that new "look" of apps like terminal, seriously that header bar looks much worse...)

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
              What is up with rpmfusion, by the way? Still no non-free for Fedora 22.

I dislike how disconnected rpmfusion is from Fedora releases altogether. It's a much better experience with Ubuntu: click some checkboxes while the installer runs and presto, support for media codecs, Flash, etc. is automatically installed. And you don't need to wait for rpmfusion to "catch up" with Fedora development...
              RPM Fusion is going through some major infrastructure changes.

As far as media codecs go, the legal situation is different

Comment

nvidia shit can burn in hell.
                upgrades are trivial unless you're too stupid to read the instructions (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgra...dora_using_yum).
                Upgrades should be done with fedup: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedUp..._with_FedUp.3F

For better or worse, Gnome Shell is the default product and the product that gets the most attention from the devs. Don't assume what is 'normal' and don't call any problems with it 'not an issue.' They might not be an issue for YOU but they are issues for Fedora.

selinux has become very painless on fedora... finally.
                Agreed on this one. I don't know what individual people are doing thats triggering selinux but I've been able to leave it enabled for several releases now. In fact the lack of selinux on Arch (not counting AUR) is whats keeping me from moving back to Arch.

android integration? WTF is that? There is an android-tools package that provides adb and fastboot, not sure what else people want... for them to package the android sdk maybe?
                Calendar sharing, shared notifications, using phone as touchpad, routing phone sound through computer, etc... Most of these can be done with KDE Connect but Gnome doesn't have anything similar yet

built-in backup solution? How about the backup thing that annoys me every time I do a Fedora install?
                [/Quote]

Not sure what youre talking about.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  Not sure what youre talking about.
                  Probably the deja-dup prompt to do a backup. It is a backup program installed by default in workstation.

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
                    BTW I quite like the Anaconda installer. Never really had any issues with it.
                    Issues come when you don't have the most common build, a RAID array for example.

Comment

Working...
                    X