Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bodhi Linux Forks Enlightenment E17

Phoronix: Bodhi Linux Forks Enlightenment E17

The Bodhi Linux distribution has forked the Enlightenment project from its E17 release...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ghtenment-Fork

Not a big surprise. I tried that crap after 5+ years of development and it crashed in a couple of minutes. Someone needs to go back to university.

Comment

The state of E17 in debian jessie/wheezy as well as ubuntu is crap. It freezes and locks. Fortunately I can kill it, and then it continues.
      I never had that with E18 (ppa for ubuntu, recompile it for debian).
      But even in the utter crap state, it is very lightweight, it won't even bog down a machine with 512MB of memory.
      There is a reason that Tizen is build on EFL.

Most of the enlightenment problems originate from lack of distribution support. It looks more like abandonware in debian/ubuntu, although with PPA's you can get the more stable newer versions.
      I wonder if gentoo has these problems too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
        I wonder if gentoo has these problems too.
        *Gentoo user here*
        I tried E17 (and E18/19) and never got happy. Part of my problem with E is the binary config. It was just too easy for me to turn it into a non-working state. AFAIR the config tool is just a dialog started in the process of E, it just doesn't start without a running E. Removing the whole config and starting from scratch seems to be the only way out.
        The other problem is the file manager, which also is just a new window in the E process, not an own process. And THAT file manager really made me crazy, because it froze really often... or just crashed right away and took the whole desktop with it (as I said, not an own process...)
        I also had weird issues with the compositor (repainting, artifacts, ...) and enlightenment_open (https-urls got messed up - don't know if this got fixed...). And as the Bodhi lead dev mentioned - I reported those issues and the bugs never got touched by a dev, just ignored, which is no fun for users caring for the software they (want to) use...

Comment

The steps to a care free E experience are:

1) Install Arch
          2) Install E from the official repos
          3) ????
          4) Profit.

e17 is ancient.

Comment

so they are trying to bring the sexy back?

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post

1) Install Arch
              3) ????
              4) Profit.

e17 is ancient.
              100 % agree.
              I've been using Bodhi Linux in 2.x days and it was very good but ubuntu 12.04 base has shown it's age in 2014
              Then Fedora 20 + Enlightenment for a while but unfortunately with some issues
              Now I've got Arch with E19 and my exiprience is excellent

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                so they are trying to bring the sexy back?
                I WANNA BE SEXY!

I still remember the proposals for E17 from over a decade ago. Wierd that such a slow moving project is unstable.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post

1) Install Arch
                  3) ????
                  4) Profit.

e17 is ancient.
                  "care free" until you run pacman -Syuu and break everything, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                    I still remember the proposals for E17 from over a decade ago. Wierd that such a slow moving project is unstable.
                    E17 is very stable, hence probably why Bodhi has gone for that version.

E18 and E19 are much more recent. I personally run E18.8 on my system, and I don't have any issues with it. Though, I do compile it from source, and with the foundation libraries released at the time. That's just because Debian repos are very slack with E.

I did try E19, but it was a bit tough on my graphics card. CPU continually running at a moderate pace. I believe it was related to the new pager, which shows a semi-live representation of all desktops. I think I'll wait until it's optimised a bit more. Maybe try E20 when that's ready.

It isn't a slow moving project any more. Releases are planned, and happen multiple times in a year. I guess you can say that stability has suffered because of it, but to be honest, it all feels rock solid to me. Been using various incarnations of E over the last decade, and use it as my work interface. You know something is solid when you're happy to use it at work. Nothing pisses me off more than a buggy interface, when I'm trying to get something done.

Comment

Working...
                    X