GTK+ 3.18 Plans For Full Wayland Support, A Scenegraph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
    Err... judging by Wayland performance in 3.16, I sincerely doubt it will be ready for 3.18
    How exactly did you measure performance of a protocol?

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
      Err... judging by Wayland performance in 3.16, I sincerely doubt it will be ready for 3.18
      Assuming by "performance" you don't just mean speed (which has increased for me, compared to 3.14 X11), there are only three things I have noticed are not (yet) possible in GNOME on Wayland:
      Display rotation: annoys me because I have a pivot monitor that I like to put in portrait mode when I code.
      Graphics tablets: I have a Huion H610PRO which does not work with GNOME 3.16 on Wayland (cannot check X because that crashes instantly since the GNOME 3.16 update, no idea why, I don't care because wayland is definitely good enough at this point). It worked on 3.14 on X11 less than a month ago.
      Real relative mouse motion (at least with SDL): I once started Xonotic to see how fullscreen gaming works, I soon saw that the "relative" mouse motion is actually derived from the absolute position of the invisible cursor, which stops at the monitor edges, meaning that there is a ~20? angle I cannot look at (fairly shitty in an FPS obviously). It might even be that it's the game's fault because it tries to do cursor warping even though you (AFAIK) cannot set the cursor position in Wayland.

Each of these is a relatively minor problem, and I can definitely live with them, given that I get other nice things like VLC video playback with half the CPU usage it used to take.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
        Each of these is a relatively minor problem, and I can definitely live with them, given that I get other nice things like VLC video playback with half the CPU usage it used to take.
        ... vlc works with Wayland now? The only video player that supported it natively (I thought) was MPV. I had thoughts of Totem supporting it soon because of the whole "gnome uses it" thing, if it wasn't working already, but I thought VLC was a ways down the road.

Shows how much I keep up with VLC news haha. whoops.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
          Assuming by "performance" you don't just mean speed (which has increased for me, compared to 3.14 X11), there are only three things I have noticed are not (yet) possible in GNOME on Wayland:
          Display rotation: annoys me because I have a pivot monitor that I like to put in portrait mode when I code.
          Graphics tablets: I have a Huion H610PRO which does not work with GNOME 3.16 on Wayland (cannot check X because that crashes instantly since the GNOME 3.16 update, no idea why, I don't care because wayland is definitely good enough at this point). It worked on 3.14 on X11 less than a month ago.
          Real relative mouse motion (at least with SDL): I once started Xonotic to see how fullscreen gaming works, I soon saw that the "relative" mouse motion is actually derived from the absolute position of the invisible cursor, which stops at the monitor edges, meaning that there is a ~20? angle I cannot look at (fairly shitty in an FPS obviously). It might even be that it's the game's fault because it tries to do cursor warping even though you (AFAIK) cannot set the cursor position in Wayland.

You seriously haven't bumped into the lacking clipboard support between Wayland and XWayland applications? To me this is highly irritating as you can't copy-paste information between a terminal and a browser when solving problems

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            ... vlc works with Wayland now? The only video player that supported it natively (I thought) was MPV. I had thoughts of Totem supporting it soon because of the whole "gnome uses it" thing, if it wasn't working already, but I thought VLC was a ways down the road.

Shows how much I keep up with VLC news haha. whoops.
            If you try googling on "Wayland vlc", you easily bump into a trac ticket for the development of unscaled rgb on Wayland where the vlc developer gets exhausted at Wayland design decisions where all throttling is in clients any any client can DoS the compositor. The only told solution was that no one must write such clients.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
              You seriously haven't bumped into the lacking clipboard support between Wayland and XWayland applications? To me this is highly irritating as you can't copy-paste information between a terminal and a browser when solving problems
              I use the XFCE Terminal and Kate for the text editor (both should run on X), so I haven't experienced that problem.
              As for VLC, most of the problems I had were related to the fact that VLC does too much window management (putting its window into the foreground, resizing it) that it shouldn't do anyway IMO.

Comment

Working...
              X