Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NetworkManager Drops WiMAX Support

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by Detructor View Post
    okay, two things:
    1. what the fuck is WiMAX? (yes, I do realize I could google it. Just saying that I've never heared about this and I've been in IT for over a decade now.)
    WiMax is my only hope for affordable-ish high-ish speed internet. Developed as a "last mile" internet connection and just becoming available out here. Was also used for phones, apparently, although I never quite understood why.

    From what I can see WiMax support is usually combined with a router and accessed via either WiFi wired Ethernet, so it's likely that general support for WiMax is not needed.
    Test signature

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      WiMax is my only hope for affordable-ish high-ish speed internet. Developed as a "last mile" internet connection and just becoming available out here. Was also used for phones, apparently, although I never quite understood why.

      From what I can see WiMax support is usually combined with a router and accessed via either WiFi wired Ethernet, so it's likely that general support for WiMax is not needed.
      I don't actually use one, but, I've seen WiMax for building to building communication. At the time I thought it was too slow for what those guys had it set up for.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        I don't actually use one, but, I've seen WiMax for building to building communication. At the time I thought it was too slow for what those guys had it set up for.
        Yeah, it's not that fast (30-40 Mb/s IIRC) but since my alternatives are dial-up and cellular modem it looks pretty good.

        I guess I could try to recreate the Tunguska impact and clear enough trees to get line-of-sight to a satellite, but I *like* the trees...
        Test signature

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          I guess I could try to recreate the Tunguska impact and clear enough trees to get line-of-sight to a satellite, but I *like* the trees...
          there is a solution for everything

          or just, you know, erect a big tower

          Comment


          • #15
            That kind of attitude causes nothing but trouble

            Originally posted by StefanBruens View Post
            If you don't have a clue, you should shut up.

            1. Removal has been discussed on the Networkmanager ML, nobody stepped up and said it is required, nobody is willing to maintain it.
            2. Major network operators have dropped WIMAX in favor of LTE. More operators have announced they will shut down the service in near future.
            3. The IEEE working group 802.16 (the one responsible for WIMAX) has dissolved itself.
            That kind of attitude causes nothing but trouble. Expecting Linux users to simply accept whatever comes from upsteam is the attitude of Windows and I'm sorry to say the attitude of GNOME. This is why there are so many forks. Unless you can say that there will be no place on the whole planet where Wimax networks remain, you cannot say nobody uses it.

            If it cannot be maintained, simply say so and advise anyone needing WiMAX to use the legacy version-and make sure that the URL's to download the legacy version do not disappear until someone else is offering it or forks it. If the service is shut down in ALL places on Earth, then and only then is nobody using it.If it hangs on in a few places, split out the support into a separate package (or the legacy version) and advise that someone else will have to maintain it.

            Let's get real: those of us who are not rich are not going to buy new hardware (or change ISP') because our favorite Linux distro stops supporting older hardware. Instead we will stop updating or pin the offending packages. That's probably most of the planet. I really DO worry about what is next with this sort of thing. Will my old b/g adapters have their kernel drivers removed or support in Network Manager removed? If so, I have no use for those "updates" and will not install them.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              Big, big big mistake.

              Taiwan uses WiMax heavily. That's an entire country they are dropping support for. I hope this gets reviewed thoroughly before being pushed through.
              Actually, no. I'm living in Taiwan and they are using LTE just like the US and Japan, even though the government and the wireless industry had great investments on WiMAX.
              Last year there was still WiMax broadcast signal in my place, albeit a weak one, and now it's gone, too. There just not so many people using the service (low adoption).

              I think it's a shame because the newer WiMAX 2 standard has just the same speed.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                What do you think?

                Point is, if NetworkManager is going to drop WiMax support, that's an entire country of users desktop Linux can count on to NOT get adopted in any way.

                Disclaimer: my knowledge of WiMAX usage in Taiwan is a bit dated; last visit was in 2011, and my co-workers (myself included) were all hooked up to WiMAX dongles. I have no idea if Taiwan is slowly wearing itself off WiMAX or not.
                I live in Taiwan, and my understanding is that WiMAX is in the process of being axed. It was only last year that LTE 4G became available, but everyone is rapidly switching to it. Indeed, most of the carriers no longer offer WiMAX, but I can't say if it's 100% dead yet.

                As for how Linux users in Taiwan access WiMAX, I'm sorry to say that Linux users are rather slim on the ground here, unless you count Android as being Linux. For desktop computers, Windows reigns supreme, followed by a small number of Mac users. For mobile devices, Android is dominant, but Apple iEverthing has a substantial market. Windows phones are nearly nonexistent, despite an effort by Nokia/Microsoft to push them.

                The majority of Linux users in Taiwan seem to be expats, like myself. Yes, we exist, but aren't poised yet to take over the world.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  WiMax is my only hope for affordable-ish high-ish speed internet. Developed as a "last mile" internet connection and just becoming available out here. Was also used for phones, apparently, although I never quite understood why.

                  From what I can see WiMax support is usually combined with a router and accessed via either WiFi wired Ethernet, so it's likely that general support for WiMax is not needed.
                  I thought that was what LTE is for? Or at least some companies want it to be that way so they don't have to dig any more cables to remote villages.

                  Also in what country do you live? Or are you just so far out that there is nothing but the trees you mentioned around you?
                  Detructor
                  Senior Member
                  Last edited by Detructor; 18 April 2015, 03:28 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    LTE******

                    * Nice speeds only for short bursts when there are no other users on the mast
                    ** Capped to hell, enjoy that 500MB monthly cap
                    *** That means one youtube video at hd btw
                    **** Such latencies and battery drain

                    Wireless is simply unacceptable for any last mile connection.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by Luke View Post
                      That kind of attitude causes nothing but trouble. Expecting Linux users to simply accept whatever comes from upsteam is the attitude of Windows and I'm sorry to say the attitude of GNOME. This is why there are so many forks. Unless you can say that there will be no place on the whole planet where Wimax networks remain, you cannot say nobody uses it.

                      If it cannot be maintained, simply say so and advise anyone needing WiMAX to use the legacy version-and make sure that the URL's to download the legacy version do not disappear until someone else is offering it or forks it. If the service is shut down in ALL places on Earth, then and only then is nobody using it.If it hangs on in a few places, split out the support into a separate package (or the legacy version) and advise that someone else will have to maintain it.

                      Let's get real: those of us who are not rich are not going to buy new hardware (or change ISP') because our favorite Linux distro stops supporting older hardware. Instead we will stop updating or pin the offending packages. That's probably most of the planet. I really DO worry about what is next with this sort of thing. Will my old b/g adapters have their kernel drivers removed or support in Network Manager removed? If so, I have no use for those "updates" and will not install them.
                      Legacy versions of exactly what, NetworkManager? The source code has not and will not be removed from version control history. Everything necessary for fixing WiMAX and getting it actually used is a competent developer who is ready to allocate a lot of personal time in the development and maintenance of the feature for free

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X