Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreOffice Online: A Cloud Version Of LibreOffice

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LibreOffice Online: A Cloud Version Of LibreOffice

    Phoronix: LibreOffice Online: A Cloud Version Of LibreOffice

    Collabora and IceWarp are collaborating to create LibreOffice On-Line, a scalable, cloud-hostable version of LibreOffice for the web...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...line-Announced

  • #2
    That's a nice feature to have but I think putting more work in desktop version so it could compete with MS Office would make more sense.

    Comment


    • #3
      I've been using Google Docs, I'll definitely keep track of Libreoffice Online progress.

      Comment


      • #4
        Maybe this could get used by OwnCloud? Their current document editing stuff kind of sucks.

        Comment


        • #5
          Good, this looks like they are separating interface and engines, a new desktop interface could be around the corner.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: LibreOffice Online: A Cloud Version Of LibreOffice
            Server-based office suite with an HTML5 front end? That sounds like Google Docs or Zoho Docs... Hey, another competitor is great.

            IMO, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, and the LibreOffice clones of those have peaked. Markup solutions like Markdown, rST, LaTeX, and HTML+JS presentations are often better for what people want, and people are actually moving in that direction. Try sharelatex.com for a great server hosted, document system with live multi-user collaboration similar to Google Docs.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
              Server-based office suite with an HTML5 front end? That sounds like Google Docs or Zoho Docs... Hey, another competitor is great.

              IMO, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, and the LibreOffice clones of those have peaked. Markup solutions like Markdown, rST, LaTeX, and HTML+JS presentations are often better for what people want, and people are actually moving in that direction. Try sharelatex.com for a great server hosted, document system with live multi-user collaboration similar to Google Docs.
              Except LO is full-featured, all other online "docs" are stripped down in functionality, as well as breaking in various browsers. GTK3 Broadway is fully server-side I understand, which would make it work in all HTML5 browsers unlike Google Docs.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Except LO is full-featured, all other online "docs" are stripped down in functionality, as well as breaking in various browsers. GTK3 Broadway is fully server-side I understand, which would make it work in all HTML5 browsers unlike Google Docs.
                HTTP/2 makes useless websockets!?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                  Maybe this could get used by OwnCloud? Their current document editing stuff kind of sucks.
                  Owncloud currently relies on WebODF, but once available and stable, a LibreOffice app would be welcome indeed.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by kertoxol View Post
                    Good, this looks like they are separating interface and engines, a new desktop interface could be around the corner.
                    They've always been separate. And this characteristic is being leveraged in the Android version of Libreoffice, which already works. The editing UI has a way to go yet though, before it can be considered "full featured".

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X