Wine-Staging 1.7.39 Works On Speeding Up Wineserver Calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
    The problem is that Wine is known to cause issues with ALSA and PulseAudio.

It might be better now, and I have nothing against using ALSA applications with PulseAudio.

I'm also well aware that PulseAudio uses ALSA.

Trust me, I've been using Linux for more than 15 years, even from the OSS (before ALSA) days. I know what I'm talking about.

I'm referring to the issues that happen when you are playing a game with ALSA and then you have music playing on the background with a Pulse app and then the device would be "busy". This has happen to me more than once and I've had enough, so I go with apps that have a good pulse driver.
    This problem is literally non-existant if you use pulseaudio-alsa.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
      How about redirecting alsa to pulseaudio ?

something along

there are some other great examples in that wiki entry
      pulseaudio-alsa is actually the thing that does that through an /etc/asound.conf on Arch Linux, and the "Device is busy" issues happened with that package being installed.

Comment

I wonder if this will ever make its way into the official repositories of major distributions. Compiling from source takes a bit long.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          I wonder if this will ever make its way into the official repositories of major distributions. Compiling from source takes a bit long.

Wine is developed by gentoo developers.
          They also dont like binary distribuition =)

Comment

Originally posted by BoTuLoX View Post
            This problem is literally non-existant if you use pulseaudio-alsa.
            Sounds like it was PEBKAC then, I'll install both and give them a try again. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              Pulseaudio or just all of wine-staging? Fedora has shipped wine-pulseaudio since it got published. Fedora 21 and 22 have moved to shipping Wine-Staging by default instead of mainline Wine
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                Pulseaudio or just all of wine-staging? Fedora has shipped wine-pulseaudio since it got published. Fedora 21 and 22 have moved to shipping Wine-Staging by default instead of mainline Wine
                Wine-staging. It was a comment to the article.

Comment

For people whining about pulseaudio support:

You can get SB Audigy2 for 5$ on ebay and with that you can play sound from 64 different sources in the same time. And in bonus you get:

- pulse audio free system (less dependences, all audio thing work equally)
                  - an integrated amp (people who need to put volume to 200% in vlc will understand)
                  - you get to use the only PCI port in your motherboard.
                  - no CPU wasted to mix that sound.

Comment

Originally posted by RavFX View Post
                    For people whining about pulseaudio support:

You can get SB Audigy2 for 5$ on ebay and with that you can play sound from 64 different sources in the same time. And in bonus you get:

- pulse audio free system (less dependences, all audio thing work equally)
                    - an integrated amp (people who need to put volume to 200% in vlc will understand)
                    - you get to use the only PCI port in your motherboard.
                    - no CPU wasted to mix that sound.
                    Wait, is that actually supported under linux?
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
                      Are they ever going to add PulseAudio support to Wine?

I've removed alsa-utils and pulseaudio-alsa from my Arch Linux system, because the only thing I want to use that doesn't have pulseaudio support is Wine.

But I can't install it since I'm forced to use ALSA with Wine if I want sound, so I don't install it.

Sigh.
                      There are a few tricks that make things better for me.
                      using

in daemon.conf
                      Code:
                      default-fragments = 5
                      default-fragment-size-msec = 2
                      and in default.pa
                      Code:
                      load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0
                      instead of
                      Code:
                      load-module module-udev-detect

but that can make it worse for the other apps...

Aside from this, is the shared memory pool an FPS booster in games?
                      Last edited by geearf; 22 March 2015, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X